Do you have a facebook account? AND Do your children have a facebook account? AND Are you added on your children's Friends/family list?

I don't have adult children, my oldest is 10 yo. But I was wondering once my children are old enough and if FB still existed....will they add my profile to their FB page? Or it is the parents who will make a "friends request" to add their children to the "friends list". Or Parents who have a FB don't add their adult children to their "Friends list" or vice verse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Ive struggled with the whole facebook thing with my 11 yr old. She's been begging me for one for the past two years. Just about all of her friends have one, but I refused. Finally, about a week ago, I decided to let her make one. I know most parents will think I'm crazy but I have my reasons. After long deliberation, I decided that having a Facebook would let me monitor what her and her friends are talking about. It's really no different than having a cell phone, which almost everyone from 3 rd grade and up has around here. She texts all the time and I would much rather monitor it on fb than picking up her cell to read her messages. And yes, I do think an 11 yr old should be monitored. I did have rules for the Facebook though: only friends that she knows, she can not use her real name but nickname instead, and no pictures. I am also her friend.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Anyone can request a family relationship on Facebook. It doesn't have to be the parents requesting it!

I do have a Facebook account, but I only have my adult family members added to it as far as relationships go. My daughter will not have a Facebook profile any time soon. She is 2 years old.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:15 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I have FaceBook, and I love it. So does my husband and my 4 adult/teenage kids. We are all "friends" and listed as "family". I don't go out of my way to pry on the kids' interactions. Some of their friends are kinda crude, but I give them their privacy. They're good kids and tend to be a good influence on their freinds. :) When our nearly 8 yr old is old enough, he'll certainly get his own page too, maybe even if he's not quite old enough (they are supposed to be 13 I think).
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 4:19 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I am on my 2 older kids facebooks, and on the pages of many of their friends too. They are 23 & 26. My 20 yr old isn't quite past teen years enough yet to "friend" me, but we exchange messages.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 4:19 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I have 2 adult kids on my facebook friends list and we have each other on our family lists. I am also friends with some of their friends, the ones i know well. We are not on there to pry in each other's business, it's just another way we communicate, beside's calling & txting. and i put alot of photos on my page for my kids & their friends to see. I also have alot of cousins on facebook too. Facebook is for family too, not just friends.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 6:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I have an account. My step-daughter is in her 20's and I'm in her friends list. My sons are 10 and 6 - not old enough for accounts, but I'll be their "friends" when they are. Also, my mother and mother-in-law have accounts and I'm "friends" with them, too - not to mention, with my brother, sister-in-law, sister, several aunts and cousins. None of us live in the same city (or in most cases, state) - I agree with Honda: it's a great place for families to be able to stay in touch.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:30 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Yes, I have an an account. Yes, my kids have their own as well. Yes, I am their friend and on their family list, their dad is too. My dad is also my friend on facebook and on my family list.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My dh and I both have facebook accounts, and so do both our teens. Our ds is 18 and our dd is 17, and they've had their accounts for about 2 1/2 yrs now. We are all friends with each other on facebook and have our family status "linked".
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Oh, I should add - my inlaws and my mom also have facebook accounts, as do many of our other relatives. We're friends with them, too - and they are also friends with our kids. We don't live anywhere near each other, so this is a good way to share pictures, etc.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My adult children do have FB accounts and they are my "friends' on FB, per their choice. They are also very conscious of who they have asked to be their FB friends and that these include relatives and are very careful about what they post and what gets posted on their FB Wall. My non adult children have no choice, if they wanted a FB page, they have to be my friend AND I have to know their FB passwords.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2011