Do christians have to go to church?

I grew up in a house where my grandmother felt we did not have to go to church in order to have a relationship with God. My sister and I went a lot as kids but as we have gotten older we do not go much. I feel I have a personal relationship with God. I talk to him just about every night. I can read my Bible and learn just the same as anyone else. I dont feel I need to go to church to prove my relationship with God to others. I understand I can learn things there but if the Bible says half the people in the church are not really godly what am I getting from a bunch of people acting as if they are holier than thou but in reality are cussing the whole ride home from church and discussing who was wearing what. I know that is not everyone. I would rather have my personal relationship with the Lord that I know is real. Is this ok with God?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, Christians do not have to go to church. And yes, having a personal relationship with God is fine.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 3:33 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Although I'm no longer a Christian, I was raised as one. My mom never forced me to go to church. She shared your grandma's view that you don't have to go to church in order to have a relationship with God. I agree. If you feel comfortable worshipping in your own home with your Bible, that's just as great as if you feel comfortable going to church every Sunday and worshipping with 100 other people.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:33 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• "do it for the social aspect of it."

Exactly! That's what my mom always told me. She said the only reason we were expected to attend church was because of the "fellowship" aspect of it. She said it was all well and good to go to church...but that it wasn't making us better Christians or better people because we went. That's her personal belief and everyone doesn't share that belief...but whatever.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Church isn't about the building, it's about the fellowship. We are supposed to be there for each other when we fall and help guide each other. Church is also there to help reach out. Are you sure that you can do all that you should be doing without the guidance of a church?

To answer your question though, I don't think it's required for Christians to go to church, but I do think it's a good idea :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I think its a good idea to socialize with others who have your same belief. I understand the idea of church but I personally would rather not "socialize" but have my own personal relationship with God. To me it seems sometimes that it becomes a bit of a show. I feel my connection is so much more sincere with God because it is personal. Because only he and I know what we share. I dont feel I have to let anyone else see or know anything about our relationship. I feel its ours. Our personal relationship just like my personal relationship with my husband. People have told me I need to go to church and this and that but I just feel the way I do and they say all different things but I wondered whether it is actually in the Bible written somewhere that I can look myself.
    Anonymous

• This article explains it much better than I can...and the link fits where the explaination won't (lengthwise).

nAfrenzy

Answer by nAfrenzy at 3:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• We have a very firm belief in God and I think church is a waste of time, I have far better things to be doing with my Sunday mornings. We talk to our children (6 and 9) daily about God, in fact if they see and ambulance go by they pray for the people inside it and every Christmas morning before opening their gifts they say Happy Birthday to Jesus. I don't want my children being preached to about the way someone else pecieves what the Bible says, I grew up in church and I am much happier now that I am out of it. I always found it to be a very catty place to go, women always prancing around like high school girls with their little cliques. I've been outta high school for quite some time, no need to go back. My relationship with God is great!!!
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 4:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• happyathomemum: Have you ever been church hurt? I was just wondering because it seems you Love God but do not like some of the cliques that go in church. Cliques can hurt people that come to church for the right reasons.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 4:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I believe we should go to church. I'm not saying I'm perfect and go all the time. For years I didn't go at all. But I do believe we should. As a Catholic, one of the main reasons we go is so that we can receive the eucharist, or communion. We receive the body and blood of Christ. That's very important.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• You don't have to go, however it is important to fellowship with other christians. But that doesn't mean it has to be in church.
    TMC706

Answer by TMC706 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2008