Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

If I reside in TN and he resides in TX, can TX force me to let my kids go with him?

He left us when my middle son was yet to be born. He saw them once or twice a month and usually when he's broke and needed money. He has not seen them since we moved to TN...5 years ago. He doesn't call them, he calls me. He doesn't call on their birthdays. He moves from town to town and often can not be located. He has told me that he's been in and out of psych wards and is living on someone's couch. My kids don't want to go see him. They don't know him. They don't know the sound of his voice or what he even looks like. The pictures he's sent on myspace makes them scared of him...he looks like a crack head. Anyway...if I have residency here, can TX force me to send my kids to him. By the way, he has not attempted to see them...he only wants to punish me because the courts take 150 bucks a month out of his check to give me for childsupport. Help.

Answer Question

Asked by 34andcounting at 5:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 4 (32 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • It depends on if you have a child support order and what state it's from. If he has vistation rights, and you refuse to let your kids go with him during the times he has vistation, then you are breaking the order and can be put in jail for it.

    Answer by Holly126 at 5:18 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

  • I don't think your ex is in the position to take your children away. He won't be able to afford a home for them since you said that is living in "someone's couch". And I think that the legal system also takes into account the children's willingness to live with the father.

    Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 5:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

  • honestly no i dont think they can at least not without a old r the kids??? they can testify in open court and he has to prove hes more stable that you this answering your ? or are you talking about visitation?? as far as that goes dad is usally the one responsible for enforceing that..and if things have changed like his living conditions since the court last ordered things you can request a supervised visitations with court ordered officals an dif u fear for your kids safty then you do not have to let them go with him..yes you will be breaking a court order but if you can prove that you have a reason for not letting them go you should b just

    Answer by rachel216 at 6:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

  • If he is that unstable I am sure you will have no problems in court.

    Answer by AF4life at 12:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.