Will apple cider make you constipated?

I GAVE SOME TO MY CONSTIPATED SON AS A MEDICINE CAUSE THE MIRALAX WAS HURTING HIS STOMACH A LOT. I CANT GET A HOLD OF THE DR SINCE IT IS A WEEKEND

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• apple cider can do the COMPLETE OPPOSITE LOL
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• great how much can i give my son for being overly constipated to the point he wont have a stomach ache but to the point he has the runs? he is to the point that if he goes on any longer for another month or two he will be in the hospital. I followed the dr rules but now i need him to have the runs because he doesnt go inless his body forces him to and even then he trys not to go. it is better when he has the runs i know that sounds so bad but iam so desperate right now. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
    Anonymous

• There is no limit on how much you can give him. But karayash023 is wrong. Apple juice helps some people with constipation but it causes it in others. It's about 50/50.

I'm curious, why does the Miralax hurt his tummy? It is inactive and doesn't affect the muscles at all. Do you only give it when he is constipated? If he has been having withholding issues to this degree, you should be giving it to him everyday. That's what I have to do for my daughter. She will not go unless she has no choice. If I miss even one daily dose of the Miralax, she is miserable because her poop is just firm enough for her to resist going and then she ends up constipated and screaming in pain for a couple of days.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Also, do you have the books "Everyone Poops" and "It Hurts When I Poop"? Both can help kids realize that well, everyone poops, and that what they do is what makes it hurt. I've found both to be helpful with my daughter though she is still too young to fully understand (29 months).

For now, if he is that badly constipated, you may have to take him in to an urgent clinic or the ER. Once the poop in his bowels gets large and hard, nothing - no medicine, no juice, nothing - will make it soft and small again. If he can't push it out himself, he will need help. You can try prune juice to keep the poop further up the system from getting hard and to help his body push the blockage out. Baby laxatives will only cause pain if he is really plugged up.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• And be aware, long term constipation issues will cause physical changes in his bowel that will make it harder for him to go for the rest of his life. You need to have him on a maintence drug like Miralax until he completely overcomes his fear and at least 3 months beyond that. My daughter has been on it since last February when we first started encountering bad constipation and withholding issues. I fully expect her to be on it until she is at least 4.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• some dr say they can be on miralax there whole lives. my son finally went it pluged up the toillet now i have to figure out some way to get the toillet to work again. ugh at least he went i can still feel two more balls in there but i was so happy he went omg i was calling everyone lol that of course cared that was asking about him. my son has been on miralax since he was nine months or younger. i think younger but cant remember. but now he is talking more yessss now maybe he can pay more attention in preschool maybe now he will eat for me. he hasnt eaten for four days now just a little here and there like one raison or half a grape its like that now and it is really frustrating me now.
    Anonymous

• You should not be giving your child "the runs" at all on purpose. If his constipation is this bad then he should be under strict care of his doctor. Having "the runs" is just as uncomfortable as being constipated. You are needing to achieve regularity in his system not go from famine to feast. Keep in contact with the doc and do what they say and if that does not work take him in.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2008