Need help with sleeping kids

My QUESTION is how can I get my kids to sleep in sometime.. It's so bad that I still make my school age kids go to bed still at 8 p.m. but my 3 and 2 yr old would go to sleep at 11~ 1 and still get up at 7 am. but when they are with the mother~in~law they sleep intil 10 or 11 am.. I just want to sleep in I don't care if it's every other day...

Mz.PhatPhat

Asked by Mz.PhatPhat at 8:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Going to bed late doesnt mean they will get up late, just so you know! Get them on a schedule, bedtime @8 with the other kids, but give them lots of activities to do during the day so they will be exhausted. good luck!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• who said we stay up cause we want to? I try to have them down bout the sametime but sometime it's a little to hard cause they had a nap(and a nap is a most) cause if not they are crying about evrything. we do about everything go outside is a most to so they can run a lot of it out but when it's bed time they still be going.
    Mz.PhatPhat

Comment by Mz.PhatPhat (original poster) at 8:44 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think some of it has to do with the kids themselves and their inner sleep clock. My oldest, has always been a good sleeper and from 1yr on when he went to bed he would sleep for 10-12hrs. He is 14 now and still will sleep for 10-12hrs- and heaven help us if he does not get enough sleep- he is very crabby and ornery! My middle it did not matter when he went to bed, he was always up at 5:30 am! He is still an early riser (except on school mornings- he is awake but won't get out of bed on time). My youngest varies, some days he will sleep in till 8am, other days he is up before 6am -- changing his bed time does not alter this or make him sleep in later.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Good luck with that! lol My oldest is a great sleeper ever since she was about 2 months old would sleep threw the night and not get up till 9 or 10. My 10 month old sleeps threw the night but is a very light sleeper wakes up with every little noise. But i find that if i turn on a radio low and let it play all night in her room she falls a sleep to it and the other out side noises don't seem to bother her then. Maybe try only letting them cat nap and try to limit their sugar and caffeine intake. (I am not saying you give that stuff to them just trying to help lol.) And my oldest got into the habit of staying up late when she was little, i started laying her down a half an hour earlier than the night before and now she goes to bed at 8-8:30 and if we let her stay up on a weekend she passes out on the couch at 9 lol good luck again!
    katie201005

Answer by katie201005 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2011