Atheists.....do you spend every single day

in an internal struggle to disprove god to yourself? Do you spend every day trying to prove to OTHERS that god doesn't exist?

Just curious b/c it seems there is STILL the idea that atheists believe in a god to try to disprove it's existance. LMAO!!
Why do people disrespect atheists beliefs, yet expect everyone to bow down to their beliefs and respect them?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• "Why do people disrespect atheists beliefs, yet expect everyone to bow down to their beliefs and respect them?"

Respect goes both ways. I don't demand anything I don't plan to give, but I find it very disrespectful when Atheists refer to my beliefs as "myths", "lies" or "fairy tales"or my G-d as an imaginary friend in the sky or demean my beliefs and my religion by comparing it to believing in the flying spaghetti monster. I also find it very insulting when they question my intelligence and my capacity of critical though. So when I get those displays of disrespect, I don't see a reason why I should show respect. Howevert, not showing respect and being disrespectful are two different things. I would never attack the perspective another person has simply because I disagree with it. I would say I disagree, but I would never lower myself to such levels of intolerance and lack of empathy and respect.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• No. I have a life to live and children to take care of. I never try to force other people to not believe. They are on the path that works for them and I am on the one that works for me.

Why do people disrespect atheists beliefs, yet expect everyone to bow down to their beliefs and respect them? Haven't you heard that atheists hold no beliefs?? LOL
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• It goes both ways on here- but you knew that right?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:28 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• LOL nope!  I have a life and religion rarely enters into my real life or my thoughts.  Only when I'm here and that is a small percentage of my day.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:10 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Tee Hee! This old horse again... let's beat it some more!!! It isn't dead enough yet.

I've a life to live. There is happiness to be chased, chores to do, sex to be had. The only time religion comes into question is when others can not own responsibility for their own bad behavior- ie 'Witnessing' or being 'fishers of men'. speaking of which, I believe the Mormons who were visiting bi-weekly have finally gotten the hint.

Trying to wrap my brain around how they have the idea that *everyone* believes in god(s), is like trying to wrap a trojan around an elephant's cock. You just can't.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:30 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Bwahahahaahhaaha Yeah it's a priority just like scrubbing the toilet or pulling weeds in my flower bed.

Unless it's presented to me in some fashion (such as when I'm browsing the Cafemom answers section) I don't even think about it. I know that God is merely a construct of the human mind, I have no need to continually "prove" it to myself anymore than I try to continually prove gravity.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• LOL! My dh is an atheist whose response to any question about God is "I just don't think there is a God and honestly I never even think about that kind of stuff." I really don't think he feels any internal struggle about this at all, just like I don't have an internal struggle trying to disprove the existance of the Invisible Pink Unicorn to myself... if you don't believe in something, there is nothing to struggle with, and no real reason to think about it.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:27 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think it depends on the way you were raised. I can honestly say, maybe sometimes I do both. I was raised catholic, more rituals than the religion, so my becoming Athiest scared me at first. As I researched and listened, I couldn't deny my disbelief and when I finally decided that it all sounded too absurd, I fell into a more comfortable, but still curious athiest existence. And as for proof, how do you prove something doesn't exist? But I am respectfully curious about the proof of existence. Only problem is you can't disprove faith because it doesn't need to be based on fact. And as with any "proof" found, both sides will "find" ways to prove their point! It's exhausting!
    whomi

Answer by whomi at 5:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I find no struggle because it isn't important in my life at all. What is important is taking care of our earth and skies and being responsible for our own actions and stop blaming everyone else.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Yes. That is all I do, every single moment of every single day. That's what all Atheists do, when we're not eating babies or blowing up churches (don't let anyone tell you differently--otherwise, we just might get elected into public office on our merits!).

In fact, my family just got back from vacationing in Florida where my DH's family lives.  While he and my daughters spent their time at the beach looking for shells and chasing waves, I spent mine going up to every person on the beach and accosting them with questions about their erroneous beliefs.  What a waste of time it would have been to laugh and play with my family when I had such wonderful opportunities to destroy the faith of the other vacationers!

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2011