Am I being too over protected?

My 13yr old has a best friend for the fisrt time, in a very long time. My daugther is very shy, so the friendship she has with the other lil girl mean the world to her, but I have issues with the parents of her friend. I have tried to be understanding, but it's not working. my daugther is confuse as to why I won't let you sleep over at her friend house. the reason being the friend parents are really messy people and they When I say messy, I mean starting confusion, arguing and talking foul. My daugther friend have a older sister and the sister boyfriend is alway hanging around (it's almost like he lives there), and he's always tickling the girls. I Am not comfortable with the touching. Am I being too over protected?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Ew, that just sounds bad. I wouldn't let my daughter go there either. You're protecting your daughter from possible inappropriate touching and bad language and fighting. Definitely not overprotective. When I was in elementary school, my mom wouldn't let me spend the night at a friend's; I was sooo pissed, but I found out a few years later why: her dad got arrested for molestation. You have instincts for a reason! Just keep inviting the girl over to your house or offer to take them places to avoid saying no to her house over and over.
    orangeorbie

Answer by orangeorbie at 3:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I don't think you are being too over protective, and like Orangeorbie said, just keep inviting the girl to your house instead. It may do HER some good to be in a normal setting every once in a while.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• no you are not. have the friends come over to your house. There's probably not much supervision over there.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Not overprotective at all. It is a parents job to potect their children, even when it is not an easy thing to do!
    LoriLou75

Answer by LoriLou75 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I am a firm believer in going with your gut feelings...they have never led me astray before...if you fell that something is wrong, then it probably is...just keep inviting the friend over....and good luck...AJ
    momofteenageboy

Answer by momofteenageboy at 11:37 PM on Dec. 14, 2008