What can I use to make sure I don't get pregnant until i'm old enough to get a tubal? I'm looking for something besides condoms which aren't that dependable and oral BC..Please help. Thanks.

BTW before all the smartie pants come on here and say "abstinence". I am a married woman and that is not an option. That's ridiculous. I just need some idea's on other method's that are best at preventing and are lasting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• There is the IUD, its long term and pretty effective...and you can get the copper one so there isn't any hormones if thats what you are worried about.

I myself use the Nuva Ring...you put it in for 3 weeks and take it out for a week to have your period, then put a new one in.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• IUD, you can get it if your in a stable relationship and have a child.

I wouldn't prefer the nuva ring or the patch. there's been many recalls on the patch and my OB doesn't even prescribe the nuva ring cause of how many pregnancies have happened on it.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I'd say some type of an IUD as well. Its an implant that stays in for a few years and can be removed if you change your mind. Minerva is one I think. I have heard of some people having problems though so I'd research any brand you look into. Nuva Ring is one that you put in and change your self, not really the set it and forget it type of BC, you do need to take it out and replace it. Good luck in your search.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 4:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• You aren't old enough to get a tubal?? How old do you have to be?

Well, I have Implanon...its a plastic rod under the skin in your upper arm, and it lasts for 3 years. I've had it for a little over a year now, and I love it! I have some minor spotting...but not a bloody period, and very light cramps. Plus, it's 99.7% effective.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Im pretty sure you have to be 25 or have to have 1 or 2 kids? I know they wont do it at a young age because alot of people think they are done having kids but come to find out they really arent.
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I'm 29 and had Essure (basically a non-surgical tubal). So far so good!
    icook

Answer by icook at 4:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I have the Mirena IUD and love it. No side effects so far. It's pretty expensive though if your insurance doesn't cover it.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 4:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My husband recently was fixed but I just went off of the Nuva Ring. I've been on it for over a year now and have had no pregnancy scares at all. Before I got pregnant with my son I had an IUD for 4 months and it worked great...you even stop getting your period while you have it in some instances.
    bdeluna

Answer by bdeluna at 4:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• i could never remember the pill and depo provera made me gain crazy weight and i had bad mood swings. i am finally on mirena and i LOVE it. my insurance paid for it which was great. my first 2 periods on it were really really long but now they are light and only last a couple days, and i didnt gain weight. best thing in i cant forget to take it
    learae

Answer by learae at 5:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• IUD IUD IUD!!! I don't recommend Depo Provera; I gained 45 lbs in 9 months with it, and I hear I'm not the only one who had that problem. I had a nurse I used to work with who joked that it was so effective because no one wants to sleep with you when you're that bitchy (Depo can make you a tad cranky). It's been 8 years since I went off of it, and I've never been able to keep off the weight I gained on it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2008