rocking the baby!!

my son is 10 months old.. my son needs to be rock so that he could go to sleep.. even if hes just taking a small nap.. he could be dead sleepy and he just wont go to sleep unless i or his father rock him.. is there something that i could do so i dont have to be rocking him all the time???

yamil519

Asked by yamil519 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You might try rocking him until he is almost asleep but not fully there yet. Once he gets used to that, try rockng him for just a little bit less time until finally you don't have to rock at all.

Also, make sure you have a bedtime routine going that you can use for the next 2 to 3 years at least. We rock and read stories before bed and have done so since about 4 months (she's 29 months now). Use a short version of it for naps. For example, at bedtime, my daughter takes a bath, brushes her teeth, gets 2 or 3 stories plus one that is last every night (The Going to Bed Book). At naps, she doesn't take a bath, doesn't brush her teeth and gets 1 or 2 stories but never the night-night book.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Honestly- the cry it out method. I had to do it to my son. It is hard but if you stick with it the results are worth it. My son was at the point where if he woke up in th emiddle of the night he had to be rocked back to sleep. It took a few weeks but it worked.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 4:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• ppls say that that the crying method works on somethings but never for me i tried it but he'll just cry he wont stop.. if i let him he'll cry for hours stright none stop..
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• try a swing or bouncer seat, that worked for some of the babies in my old daycare who had this problem stay near it til hes asleep and sing to him or hum or talk and then leave him in it .. heel out gorw it but til then if thats how hell sleep so be it
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I started just sitting mine on the couch when they got like that with their blankey and putting on some cartoons, I would sit next to them. They learned to go to sleep that way, and then eventually after a couple months they would just go to sleep on their own.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• hes going to learn how to get himself back to sleep, i agree with rocking until he is almost asleep, then let him figure out the rest, its hard. good luck
    Anonymous