Do you think that some sort of community service should be a graduation requirement in Highschool?

Today's children really seem to have a sense of entitlement. Perhaps we give our children too much and they then have a sense that everything should just be handed to them. If we made community service a graduation requirement for highschool, maybe our children would become better citizens and realize that they must help change the world by helping others. What do you think?

maggiebgood

Asked by maggiebgood at 9:37 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• We already have that.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think it should be necessary. I personally feel I could have benefited from it.
    mitchellb

Answer by mitchellb at 9:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My state already has that. Our requirements to graduate are very difficult.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• No. I think parents need to step up more. I grew up very well off, but my parents never allowed me to act like some entitled brat. I got a job at age 15, I kept my grades up, and was a responsible person.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My daughter's highschool didnt have community service as a graduation requirement but it was required of her as a member of the National Honor Society.
    maggiebgood

Comment by maggiebgood (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Well call your local authorities and have your kids signed up because I disagree. I feel if you have a well disciplined behaved child, then why make them do community service? Completing high school is fantastic considering the high school dropout rate in the U.S. Be proud enough seeing your child walk across the stage to accept the diploma. Most kids end up being parents and can't finish school, while others drop out because of drug use. My point is, why go that extra mile, you should be happy your kid even finished high school. Leave the community service for the criminals or youths who break the law "BEFORE COMPLETING HIGH SCHOOL."
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• High schools in Fla have this......

Answer by older at 9:49 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Yes, I do think that think that that is a good idea.
    Beckiew

Answer by Beckiew at 9:49 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My kids's high school has that requirement. While it may be a good thing as far as getting out into the community and actually having to take part in some aspect of a more adult involvement, we live in a small town and so community service opportunities can be/are limited. I, personally feel that encouraging it and perhaps giving extra credit for it would be better than making it an actual requirement, especially in the smaller towns.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Why punish the kids who are doing great in school? I'm talking about honor roll students and other high achievers. Why punish them? I do however feel that if your child is failing and laying out of school, then I'll support this community service for them. Maybe this will get their attention to do right.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2011