Almost 2 year old with 103 fever but no other symptoms

he will be 2 on Tuesday and since yesterday afternoon has been running a 103 fever. It goes down with Tylenol but right after 4 hours it's right back up there. He has no other symptoms. What do you think is going on?

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My guess would be teething. Have you checked for molars coming in?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• When this happened to my daughter (she was only 1 1/2 though, and the fever was 104 with lethargy as a symptom) I took her to the ER. They diagnosed a kidney infection that wasn't there. We never did find out what caused her fever, but it did go down and she was okay in a couple of days.

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• it could be the beginning of a virus. make sure he's staying hydrated and call his doctor
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:54 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• He may not show symptoms but maybe its an ear infection or something of the sort. I'd call the pediatrician and see if you can get in today. Try a lukewarm bath to see if that will drop his temp. Rushing to the er with no other symptoms does not help when they send youbhome just as fustrated as before. If the temp continues to climb, then I'd worry more. Look for things that may not be obvious, pulling ears, scratching somewhere, ect...poor peanut. Good luck mama *hugs*
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 9:57 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Any temp. 100 or above you should take the child to the doctor or ER. Even though their may be no symptoms their could be something going on in the body.

-make sure to give plenty of fluids.
    - children's medicine.
    dbiddix26

Answer by dbiddix26 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• switch off tylenol and motrin every 3 hrs. Thats what my doctor tells me 2 do.
    country_mom_07

Answer by country_mom_07 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• It could be an ear infection. My son sometimes gets ear infections with no symptoms other than a fever. I would not take him to the ER; they do not consider that a high fever. If you want him to be seen by a doctor, contact your pediatrician.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• hi im a mom of 4 kids all of them are 14 and up but There could be a couple different things, It could be he`s teething a ear infection, but you  should be safe then sorry. Id take him to the doctor......They will be able to make sure its not saomething internal....Good luck hope youre little tike gets better.....

mommysangel543

Answer by mommysangel543 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• i would say ear infection my baby gets them all the time with no other syptoms other than 102-104 fever.take him insince its been a couple of days
    khyleezmama

Answer by khyleezmama at 11:57 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• He's got his 4 2 year molars so I don't think it's teething. Probably ear infection or strep. I am bringing him in to express walk in care later today. Poor little guys just out of it :(
    mommyofone15

Comment by mommyofone15 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2011