So heartbroken over this house !

years ago my husband and I lived with my mom in a big older home... I loved the house so much my husband and I got married in the living room ( we had a small wedding, but it was very beautiful) , and both of our kids came home from the hospital to that house...

My mom was looking for a new house because she wanted to live out in the country and my husband and i was going to basically take over / buy the house so we could live there..

Unfortunatly at that same time my husband lost his job, we had no choice , we had to give up the house .... my husband ended up getting another good job but by that time the house had sold to someone else...

well now the house is up for sale again ( by owner) .. i called one day just to find out how much they wanted for it and such and it was over $20,000 more than what we can spend on a house ...

I know we are meant for this house, it is just to many things that happened at once to make me feel like we are suppose to get this house back ( it comes up for sale right when we are approved for a home loan, I just started thinking of the house alot - just out of the blue and all of a sudden we went past it one day because of a detour and there was the for sale sign... plus many other "signs"

The woman said they inherited her husbands family home in another town and just need to sell it and wanted to sell it before christmas...

They have done nothing to the house except added stainless steel appliances, and charging $50,000 more than what they paid for it a couple years ago ... they even have pulled off peices of wallpaper ( but arent going to finsih even pulling it off ) ...

We have offered as much as we can but after they found out how much we want it, they took the price back up ( they said they would negiotiate and went down close to what we would pay, but then decided to up to back up after they found out) ...

they said they had a couple other people look at it but no one has offered anything, and since we live in a small area with nicer homes for sale in the price range i doubt they will - I hope they dont...

I just feel so upset over the fact that we wont be getting that house back... and it makes me mad that they are acting like that.... why would you do that to someone? how greedy could you be ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• Doesn't sound to me like they're really in a big hurry to sell it. When you made the offer, did your agent point out all the things that need to be done, such as replacing the wall paper, and any other needed repairs (found by a qualified inspector) and the potential cost to you of doing them? Those things can and do play a part in what one can reasonably expect to sell a home for. I'm sorry they've taken the price back up, some people really are just greedy and take the attitude that if you really want the place, you'll pay any amount to get it. Sometimes they even mention other's being interested even when they really don't have any other offers, just to try and get you to "jump on it". I do hope that they take another look at your offer and that you do end up getting the house.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• If it is meant to be it will happen. Pray for what is right, not for what you want. They can ask all they want for the house, but if the market isn't there, they aren't going to sell it. Mine went down over $100,000 from the original asking price before I found it. Frankly I don't think it was worth the original asking price in any time even when the market was good, but it sat for 2 years without anyone buying it. Other people may be looking, but if it needs work, a lot of people won't do that. They want the walls painted and everything for them the way THEY want it instead of looking at the potential. It's possible no one is even looking at it and they are saying that hoping you will up your offer. Good luck. I hope that if it's right for you, you end up with it.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• One of the top rules of buying a house is to NEVER let the sellers know how much you want the house. If I was you I'd give them my final terms and then tell them you're walking away. Then do it. You may lose the home but you do not want to put yourself in a finacial bind even for your dream home. Come back in a month and if it's still on the market re submit your bid reminding them that they are paying insurance, taxes, utilities, etc on it every month that it is on the market.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• If it's meant to be it will be.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Another thought, if you have your own appliances and like them, when and if you resubmit an offer, let them know you don't want the appliances, leaving them free to sell them on their own or take them. If they aren't having to leave expensive appliances, they may be more open to a lower offer.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Like someone else said never let the sellers know how much you want the house. They know they can squeeze top dollar from you now. They are not doing anything to you they are trying to sell a house for as much as they possibly can which is pretty basic. You can either offer more or walk away. No use in being mad over a common practice in the home buying and selling process.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• well that is what makes me angry.... they dropped the price to what we could afford and we were moving ahead with the purchase... after that was said and done we were talking very friendly because we had been to the house to look at it several times and to talk about the price several times... that is when I said about how happy we were that they were accepting the price, and I told them of our history in the house.... the next day we got a call saying that they decided they want to go back to the original price....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2011