Have you ever heard of CHILD LED WEENING???

What are your thoughts on it?? IMO... I think that its an extreme. I mean, what happens if your child still BF when they are 2 or 3?? WAY WAY WAY too long!! but what are your opinions??

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 4:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• ok IMO you are the parent and seriously your child should not be able to climb in your lap and whip your breast out and go to town on it! i think a year is a good amount of time to breastfeed (which i plan on doing) but past that its to much.
    SarahMerritt_22

Answer by SarahMerritt_22 at 12:29 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I do this with my children. My daughter weaned at 15 months and my son is 2 1/2 years this month and is still nursing a couple times a day. I think it is better for them emotionally than just going cold turkey. (would you just take away a blankie or teddy bear with no warning?) It is also better for the mother, she has less problems with engorgment, mastitis, and other such things.
    Anonymous

• i understand the health benefits and all but there comes a time when you have to let it go. when the kid can pull the boob out himself it time. a child should start being weened at 10 or 11 months so by the time they reach 1 yo they can use a cup.
    mom2gavahnyaand

Answer by mom2gavahnyaand at 4:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I think every woman is different and that Breast Feeding is a very personal subject. Women should do whatever they think is the right thing.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 4:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I'm breastfeeding and We plan on self weaning. AND I AM VERY PROUD OF THAT!!! I do agree that if a child hasn't started to self wean by 2 1/2 you should probably do something to get the ball rolling. Personally I don't think a kid who is old enough for pre-school should be breast feeding (3 1/2- 4) but I don't think there is anything wrong with extended breast feeding past one.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I don't agree with child led weaning. What if the kid just doesn't want to stop and is still grabbing mommy's boobs at age 2 or 3? Or worse, 4 or 5?? WAY too long. That's like child abuse. Breastfeeding needs to be stopped by 2 years of age.
    Anonymous

• Child Led Weaning, or Baby Led Weaning, can also refer to letting the child choose when and how to deal with solids. It's an interesting philosophy of letting them feed themselves; we use some of the ideas, but don't shun spoon-feeding like the mainstream folks.

As far as letting a child decide when to stop breastfeeding... it wouldn't work for me, but I'm fine if other moms want to extended breastfeed. I will say that I think there reaches an age where public breastfeeding may no longer be appropriate, but it'd definitely be for older children.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 5:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• well... my husband and i were in Chicago over the summer and we were on one of those tour boats... there was a little boy, who was talking away and had to be at least 3 or 4 and he got up on his moms lap and pulled her boob out. when he was done he looked at his mom and said "mommy, your boob tasted funny"... i am sorry but when a child can tell his mom to lay off the mexican food... they are too old to BF
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I don't agree with child led weaning. What if the kid just doesn't want to stop and is still grabbing mommy's boobs at age 2 or 3? Or worse, 4 or 5?? WAY too long. That's like child abuse. Breastfeeding needs to be stopped by 2 years of age. - Quoting previous anonymous poster.

Child abuse? Are you kidding? How is this child abuse? Do a little more research on the definition of child abuse before you start spreading such ignorant opinions.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Islam says that a woman can breastfeed upto 2 years. Some can never breastfeed, some for a few days, weeks, months, years. No one should care what another parent does with their child or boobs. LOLOLOL
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 6:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2008