Is it right for my landlord to demand money on a short noctice.

I am asking beacuse my landlord is saying that i owe them $949.20 and is like if they don't havit by monday then they are going to filla Unlawful Detainer onme. then crazy about it is they waited a whole month before they said anything about it. then got the notice thursday but it was dated for the 10th of this month and I called my team of workers and spoak to one of them and told them what is going on and they were working on putting money on my card. so i can send them some money on my rent. I feel that he did not give me enough time to work this out. then it's really out o fmy hands. because i have a housing voucher that pays 500 dollers of my rent and 184 come out of my grant. Do you think it fair that he does this to me put me and my kids out in the cold with no where to go? but if i have to i will sue just becasue this is out of my hands and i have no control over this at all.

MissMandy25

Asked by MissMandy25 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Money & Work

• If you owe you owe, but a reasonable ammount of time should have been given to you in order to be able to pay it. Also depending on where you live, it is ilegal for a landlord to kick you out past a certain date due to the weather. If you live where the weather is cold this time of year, you might want to check out the laws.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 4:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Did you not pay your rent on time or something? If that's the case and you didn't pay by the time your rental agreement indicates, you do owe asap.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• if he decides to kick you out due to non-payment, he has to go to court to get eviction papers.. depending on the state he has to give you the amount of time (new york is a month) to find another place and get your things out.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I'm not really understanding. Is this past due rent? If so, it's not like he "didn't give you notice". You know when your behind on rent and you know you owe money. In my experience, if you are a good tenent and have always paid on time, and something happened they will work with you. Sounds like he may have had problems with you before if he is now unwilling to work with you. He is running a business. Not a charity program. Not trying to be mean, but that is how it works. You had to have known you owed money, whether he came to you or not. He still has to go through the eviction process. But it's not his responsibility to make sure your not out in the cold. That is yours. That would be like saying the grocery store has all that food and knows you are hungry but won't give you any for free. He is running a business. Not a shelter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• This to the person who answered my question Anonymous. I have been living in my town home for a year and my rent has always been on time there were some mixs up that happened but it's taken care of now. me i do feel that they need to let me know if i owe or not. that way i can pay them there money. far as problems that they have not had out of me I keep to my self and only to talk to a few of my neighbors but mostly to my self.
    MissMandy25

Answer by MissMandy25 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2008