Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a problem with one of my neighbor's boys (We recently moved from TN to South TX)

There are 3 I think they all belong to the same family anyways, the have very limited understanding of English (They were born in America and so were the parents, they are enrolled in public school) I don't allow my 2 boys outside of my fenced in yard there's no reason to let them in our other neighbor's yards all their toys are in mine. These 3 boys constantly come over and want to play (fine) but when I say no not today ( I tell them my boys can't have visitors today) for any reason even if it's cause I don't feel like watching all five (mine included in number) of them I don't let a group that large play unsupervised. They just don't seem to get it and then when I tell them they have to go home they get mad and sometimes throw rocks at my house. I just don't know how to make them understand they can't have their way and feel like their parent should be watching them better and teaching them English.


Asked by Tygermommanikki at 4:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 2 (6 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Time to speak with the parents while the children are there and explain to them.
    Tell them that you don't mind them coming over when you are not busy, and theat your children have fun with them, but this type of behavior is not acceptable. Have you told the children to leave or you will have to call the police. Their parents would be in a world of trouble if they were out and about and the children were not being watched.
    If they take it lightly, after you talk to the parents and you know that they have not made an effort to reconcile with you, you need to file a police report. Make sure you note that the children have no regard for your personal property. The children sound as if they have no sense of respect for authority or for their own parents. If they did, they would not do those kinds of things. You also cannot invite those kids back over and you need to explain to your own kids why you are doing this.

    Answer by tropikanagirl at 4:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • Have you tried talking to the parents about the rock-throwing & refusals to leave your house?

    If that doesn't work, it's time to call the sheriff's dept.

    Answer by Laura1229 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • I agree with Laura1229. Make sure the parents know and then get the proper authorities involved if that doesn't stop it.

    Answer by tyheamma at 5:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • That happened to me too. 3 boys between 5 and 8 yrs old - English not a problem. I would come back home and find them in my yard playing with my son's skateboard and bike! When I tried talking to the parents I was not impressed with what I found - I can only say that it took me a few months to stop seeing those kids. I basically talked to the kids and told them clearly that my son was not allowed to play outside period and to please not break into the yard. For that period of time, I had to take me son to the park instead of the yard! I feel bad for those kids.

    Answer by Avon_Calling at 5:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • These kids cause trouble in my entire neighborhood and I live directly in front constable who witnesses some of the behaviors. And they kids seem to mind when Im out in the yard but it's annoying to have to go out side 3 and four times and tell 3 kids prolly 5-9 years old they can't play with my boys toys while my boys are not outside and that they aren't allowed to play except when I'm out there. I have told the dad that they can play when I'm outside but otherwise have to stay home.

    Answer by Tygermommanikki at 5:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • bump


    Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • Bumps don't work in the answer section, just so you know.

    You need to talk to their parents if you don't want them in your yard. Kids don't listen, especially when they don't think they have to. Go to their parents and make them listen.

    Answer by feesharose at 7:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • If I had a child who threw rocks at my home I would either A) talk to the parents or B) make a concern report to law enforcement. Only if option A was not an option due to language barriers or if the parents were not able to temper their children and the destructive behavior continued. Someone could get hurt by rocks being thrown. While I hate drama and don't like confrontation - I really don't think I could allow that to continue without letting these kids know I am serious about not wanting them to throw rocks. A law enforcement officer in your area who speaks their language could at least have a friendly chat and let the parents know that while you like the boys, you don't want to make it a big deal, this can't continue. Perhaps the officer can explain better why you can't have all of them over. Either way I would try to get it resolved rather than hope they quit hurling flying objects.

    Answer by frogdawg at 12:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2008