Feeling really bad that I missed my daughter's sk graduation.

It's not a big deal and we didn't really talk about it but I wasen't there for her. She will have had friends there whose parent's went and her's didn't.
I feel awful but I completely forgot! I have things written on the calendar and it's at the front door but I don't always check it.
feeling kinda low right now and could use some encouraging words.
People tell me that it's ok I have a lot going on and she will be fine but I still don't feel any better about it.
Any suggestions maybe on how I can make it up to her?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like you might want to get your priorities in order, and try to LOOK at your calendar everyday. If you tell her how much you love her and how disappointed you are in yourself that you missed it, then let her make a decision about what she would like to do w/in reason to make it up to her. We are Moms after all and we do get overwhelmed and forget, and boy we always feel so dam GUILTY. :)
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Let her pick a place and take her out to dinner.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I have missed my kids awards banquet before. Take her out for a milk shake or congratulations shopping. Tell her how very sorry you are and how much you love her, and how badly you wanted to be there. Tell her how special she is to you. Then explain what happened.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• explain what happened then take her to her favorite place for a small treat to make up for it.....kids have to learn they are going to have disappointments in life....and they will get over them.....life's not all peaches and cream....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I get that kids need to learn to deal with disapointment and trust me I've given them plenty of opportunities lately. Since I had my last baby I've been forgetting things a lot. I feel bad I've caused her to miss out on something else!
    I forgot her last show and tell at school but am so proud of her for improvising. She had a balloon in her bag and blew it up and let the air out several times while talking about how much she likes balloons. Her teacher said it was one of the more exciting S&T's they've had and all the kids loved it.
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Take her somewhere special that she will love!
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Take her out to dinner and buy her a gift?
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 3:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Have your own "mock" graduation, take lots of pictures, gives lot of awards. Then have a special dinner (home or out) just for her.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 3:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• There are lots of ways to make it up to her, but sounds like you are really overwhelmed. Maybe you need to sit down and take stock of your schedule. Are you trying to do too much? Are you depressed? What could you cut out to make life simpler?
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 5:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• elasmimi I had depression during and after my 3rd dd was born and so far I've been ok. I have days where things are off but nothing like I did with her.
    I am overwhelmed with things right now. Summer activities have already started up (in May) and with school ending there's too much going on. The house is crazy, I try to keep on top of things but when I lag one day it all comes crashing down.
    DD is wonderful, she apparently didn't care that we wern't there. She has been asking lately if she could have some white chocolate (the girls on our street were eating some one day) so we stopped at the store on the way home and I let her pick out a treat. They didn't have white chocolate so she picked out a multi pack of chocolate that she could share with her brother and sister. She's really sweet.
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2011