• In the Spotlight:

If it was offered at the school; would you want your child to learn Spanish?

Some schools are starting to mandate a second language in elementary. So far the only one they are teaching though, is Spanish. I want my children to learn other things. Sign language or German would be my first picks. What do you prefer?

angeladh82

Asked by angeladh82 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• i would want my child to learn another language, nothing to go crazy over at a young age, but the basic colors, numbers, shapes. wait til they get older to chose if the parents want them to pursue it. and in most high schools they have to pick a second language anyways.

walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 5:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I can't speak for anyone else, but I would be thrilled if they taught Spanish in my daughter's school from a very early age. She's bi-racial, and we're going to do our best to make her bilingual as well. If we fail at that (I don't speak Spanish but my boyfriend is fluent), it would be nice to know that she would get a Spanish education in school.

That's only my personal belief, though. Don't hate me :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I'd want my child to learn as much as he could. My SIL's family speaks Arabic and I'm hoping Zackary picks up on that. I think the reason that Spanish is so big is because alot of people in this country already speak it.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Most definately. The more languages a child can learn the better off he would be. Spanish would be the best because lots of jobs deal with spanish speaking individuals daily. Sigh language is great as well. Children are like sponges, they can learn anything. I wouldn't say much about German, because there is not a big call for that around the United States. The reason we have so much Spanish, is because it is our neighboring country, French as well, due to Canada. Don't teach your child to be discriminating.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• yes with both languages when they grow up finding jobs will be easy
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I am not wanting them to be discriminating, but we have a bigger use for German and Sign language. My DD already knows a lot of ASL. In our family, these would be more beneficial. This is not a racial issue, stir the pot else where!
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 4:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Im german, so i would prefer german ;)

we raise our daughter with english and german. not sure why she should learn spanish though.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I will like some more chooses in school like french, sigh language, and German. I already know Spanish and English. An I will teach my bb both. So prob. I will go with sign language if they have it in school.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Yes. I think that being bilingual is a major help to people. I speak Spanish, though not fluently, and I wish I'd been able to start earlier in school.

I would prefer DD to learn Spanish to anything else because I think it'll be the most useful for her later in life.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 4:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Spanish is easy to learn. There is a large population of people that are spanish speaking people that reside in the USA. Being able to speak spanish can be a big plus for your child in certain situations. They can even be able to get a job quicker or be able to communicate with others beter because they know how to speak that one language.
    tropikanagirl

Answer by tropikanagirl at 4:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2008