My twins are 27 months old and say: why, no, Gary, momma, dadda.

Why are my girls only saying these words and not saying anything else?

JadeandGaz0801

Asked by JadeandGaz0801 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The repeat what they hear the most.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Huh? Weird.....My daughter is 27 months old and says thousands of words and sentences. she can even read her name, daddy, mommy, cat, dog, and a few others.... knows her ABC's and can count to 30.....What has the dr. said about this? Listen carefully they may be saying more words than you think. Every child is different and has different intellectual skills. READ READ READ !!!!
    Anonymous

• twins often develop a language between them and so dont feel the push to figure out language as singles do. they communicate perfectly well with each other, so who cares of mommy can't understand them? Besides, lots of children don't begin really talking until they are two and a half or later, and this can be true especially for twins. If your pediatrician isn't worried, there is no need for you to be. Since they can say some words, there clearly isn't a problem with the physical ability to speak or hear.
    genkimom

Answer by genkimom at 4:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• And you can go ahead and ignore what "anonymous" above just smugly implied. there is nothing wrong with their intellect, or your ability to hear what they are saying or how much you are reading to them. Some people can be so obnoxious
    genkimom

Answer by genkimom at 4:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I WASNT TRYING TO BE SMUG, AND I SHOULDNT HAVE TO DEFFEND MYSELF EITHER, BUT I WILL! I WAS NOT SAYING SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH THIER INTELLECT AT ALL. SOME CHILDREN I KNOW ARE MORE ADVANCED THAN MY DD AND SOMETIMES I TOO FEEL LIKE SHE MIGHT BE BEHIND. DOCTORS SAY THAT YOU SHOULD READ ALOT TO YOUR CHILDREN SO THAT THEY LEARN WORDS AND SPEAKING WELL. YOU SHOULD READ TO YOUR CHILD ALOT! THATS 1 WAY THEY LEARN. AND A VERY EFFECTIVE WAY AT THAT! LISTEN CAREFULY BECAUSE THEY MIGHT BE SAYING MORE WORDS IS WHAT MY DD'S DR TOLD ME AND SHE WAS RIGHT! EVERY CHILD...TO EACH THIER OWN...I WAS NOT BEING OBNOXIOUS AND MOST CERTAINLY WAS NOT TRYING TO MAKE THIS MOM FEEL LIKE HER CHILDREN ARE BAD OR ARENT SMART! SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE IS TRYING TO BE RUDE!
    Anonymous

• I am really not sure about that, beacuse when my twins were that age they were saying tones of stuff. I would just wait a little bit longer and than if their words don't increase than have them checked out. But don't get to worried to soon, everybody is different
    msjtwin

Answer by msjtwin at 6:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• were your twins premies? they say when your born a premie, you develop a little slower than babies who were born on time. im a twin, and me and my sister were premies, and i guess you can say it took us a while to mature or develop compared to other kids. its not a bad thing, it just took us longer to get the hang of things than it did other kids.
    i remember when other kids in kids in high school were all having sex and stuff, i didnt get it. i just didnt. for some reason i didnt grasp how sex worked until i was a junior in high school. and even then things were unclear to me.
    i hope i made sense. lol. dont worry, your girls are just fine. if you dont feel that they are, ask the pedi about it.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 6:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2008