2.5 and still barely saying any words?

Is this a concern or should I not be worried. She seems to try to say things. She is the youngest of three girls, but it doesn't seem like we talk for her, in fact her sisters exclude her sometimes cause she cannot talk. They also try to get her to say things. I am not sure if she is just way to stubborn or what. She can say mommy, baby, buh-bye, ball, sometimes something that sounds simular to daddy and pappy. So "B" sounds seem to be her strong point. She will not say yes or no, rather shakes head. I had her evaluated in Nov. and they said she was fine, and if not talking in 6-8 months have her reevaluated. I just get people tell me that their child did not talk till 3, do not worry. Just frustration levels can be high for all of us when we do not know what she wants. She did have chronic ear infections and ear tubes. Ear tubes were just removed. Though she comprehends what we say, so I think she hears fine. Should I reevaluate or wait till three (January)?

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• IMO I think that you should probably get her reevaluated. Or go to your child's physician & see if their as concerned as you are. My daughter will be three in September & she never shuts up.. She can talk just as well as I can. (But all children are different) if it were me though I would check into reevaluating her.
    mackenna_tayven

Answer by mackenna_tayven at 11:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• A reevaluation wouldn't hurt if you are worried. My cousins little boy didn't start talking until 4 and then he NEVER shut up.
    My 4 year old is special needs and get speech therapy. I told them he said maybe 10 words but after listening to him for a day I realized he said much more than that. I started to make a list of words he said clearly and words he tried to say that just didn't come out exact. Turns out he had about 30-40 words. Continue to try to use her words before getting things or try looking up signs so there is less frustration.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I saw the same thing happen to our family. The little did not talk, she would just cry for something, and I told her parent don't give her anything when she is crying, just show her how to ask by saying what she wanted.
    And her older sister was not being nice to her, she was jealous. I caught her taking something from her baby sister and I told to be careful she will get big and get back on you!
    She started to talk right before her 3 b-day and will not shut up lol and she has gotten back on her sister and she does have a strong temper and very stubborn.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My daughter will be two next week. She barely talks, she says certain words like dog, cat. I buy books such as 100 first words ( from target) and dvds called so smart: house and so smart: getting dressed. Its great she started saying new words today ( phone and house) but she can't make complete sentences. Maybe those suggestions can help along with talking to her pediatricianabiut your concerns
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 11:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My son was in speech at ten months. His was different I am sure but I would not accept no speech therapy as an option if this were my child. Speech tx will not harm her in any way if it is a "simple" delay and a good therapist will have insight if there is something more to consider going on.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Its not bad if they do not talk much. Now is a good time to work on it.

You can make out flashcards with pictures of the things you want her to know how to say. Like all the names of the people in your family, her bed, the potty, her sippy cup, etc.

Sit in front of her and slowly pronounce the words so she can watch your mouth. You have to work with her several times daily, get your other daughters to help while you are making dinner. They might enjoy it :) They must be encouraging and patient or your youngest will shy away and not want to play the game anymore.

I read this above model from a child psychologist who got her 18 month son to say 6 word sentences in only a few months. At 2 years old, her son's launguage development went through the roof!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 11:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My daughter just turned 3 and has been using full complete sentences for quite sometime now. My oldest, now 11, needed speech therapy because you couldnt understand her, she talks perfect now, and my cousin( now 25) didn't talk till he was 4 and he turned out to be fine. Everyone is different.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My Niece did not talk much at 2 or even at 3. She just chose not to. Her speech was kind of bad too. But when she started pre-school at age 4 she started talking a lot more and now hardly ever is quiet. If you worried you could get her checked but sometimes its just there personality. I was worried about my sons speech and my Dr. Told me just to let him attend pre-school for a while and see if anything changed because that is when kids really start talking and communicating with other kids.
    Bayareamommy510

Answer by Bayareamommy510 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• It wouldn't hurt to have her reevaluated if you are worried. But every child is different and if the doctor says she is fine, she probably is. She just maybe very stubborn. My oldest talked from a very early age but my aunt's youngest didn't talk till she was 2 1/2. it seemed like one day she wasn't talking and the next, wham! She never stopped lol. My youngest is 10 months and she says mama, dada, papa, me me, up ( for shut up because she heard her sister tell her grandma's dog to shut up so she started saying up! up! it was funny), ah ah ah ( for no), becca ( for her sister Rabecca). it seems what ever we say she tries to say. But her mamma ( me) is a big talker so maybe that's where my girls get it from lol. she is probably fine, good luck and let us know how she does!
    katie201005

Answer by katie201005 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My daughter is near the same age and speaks quite well, but my nephew just turned two and hardly talks at all. and he's the second to youngest of 6. Sometimes it depends on the outgoing or shy aspect of the child, sometimes its a developmental thing. I would take her to a diff doc or to whatever is similar to Handicapped Children's Association to get eval'd. HCA is awesome, and they dont judge a kid on stupid things. They do a full developmental markup. And they should be able to help you out if the doc's can't
    marknsarahsmom

Answer by marknsarahsmom at 12:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2011