Getting our first ever puppy... need advice

I would love to get a book on how to take care of a puppy.

I know nothing about puppies.... feeding, grooming, how far/often to walk, puppy proofing, ect.

Suggestions???

sahlady

Asked by sahlady at 11:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Pets

• I don't know of any good books, but what I do know is that no matter what in life, I have learned that the "experts" don't know it all and some of their advice really stinks. With that being said, every puppy is different, just like a child. Understand that if you puppy proof, they will not learn how to stay out of things when they are older. They need to learn the word no. Although I wouldn't leave anything poisonous around or anything like that. Free feeding is best. Dogs WILL NOT eat until they die no matter what they will tell you, UNLESS they are only given what the bag tells you. Buy food that starts with meat. If it isn't nutricious enough, they will keep eating. Walk as much as you want, you will see the puppy getting tired. You may have to pick it up and carry it home that first time, but then you will know only to walk half as far the next time. Brush, brush brush. They love it. Any other ? you can emai
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Puppies are a lot of work. When they are young they need to be taken out a lot. One rule to follow is to take them out 15 minutes after they eat,drink or play. That sometimes gets adjusted depending on the pup. I have always puppy proofed to keep them safe and they have ALL learned to to stay out of things as a adults. Puppies go through a chewing phase so getting into things is normal so giving them things to chew on is a must. Don't give them anything that can be easily destroyed ( stuffed toys, rawhide, plastic squeaky toys). I give my dogs kongs, soup marrow bones (from pet store) and occasionally knuckle bones. I do give them squeaky toys also but they are not left out. My dogs are taught the command leave it and drop it. I save NO for more serious things like running out in the street. I do not free feed because that can make the dog fat. As an adult dog they should be fed twice a day.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• as far as walking and grooming that really depends on the breed you get. Some need more then others. I have three dogs and one of them goes swimming in the summer and is run with a bike to were him out. The other two don't need as much. Getting the dog on a good diet is also important. check out http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ to do some research. 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I forgot to mention crate training. That will help house break the pup and keep it out of trouble when you can't watch the pup.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Be sure to buy a crate - I agree with PP.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• What breed? Congrats on your new family member!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• buy dog/ puppy for dummies, they have one for cats, and it's a good layout of everything you would want to know.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Please consider your local shelter. There are also many adult dogs that are well trained! GL!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 2:07 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• they take alot of patience and everything
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2011