build up behind the ear of a 12 mon old?

My Step son showed up at our home with a weird irriation behind his ear, it looks as if it was wax and dirt build up behind his ear and caused open sores. We had to scrap the dirt off and it was so bad it was impacted into wound (ulcer type). I know his mother does not bathe him well. Does anyone know what it may be or what could of happened? I am so sickened and sad. He is only 12 months. Remember, it is behind the ear where the hair line and ear meet. Please someone help.

SoulSymphony

Asked by SoulSymphony at 4:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Health

• It's just what you said - dirt, dead skin cells, oil from his hair, and possibly a little ear wax thrown in. It's actually pretty common though the open sores part is not. Parents usualy spot it long before that point.
    Didn't your mother ever tell you "don't forget to wash behind your ears"? This is why. This area doesn't get cleaned when the hair is washed. It is proctected from a side swipe of the wash cloth when the face and body are washed. Unless you actually go looking, it is easy to overlook.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I wouldnt be able to tell you what it was...but heres a suggustion: Take pictures!! Then take him to his pediatrician and see what they can do for the poor little guy! Reason behind the picture taking: My friend was always batteling with her ex about thier son comming over filthy from head to toe, yea he is a kid but he was never bathed. So her lawyer told her to start taking pictures of anything wrong the second she picks him up and make sure the date and time is set correctly on your camera. I dont know if ya all have much trouble with your step sons mom like my friend had with her ex but its good for a precaution. Hope your little guy is ok!!!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Do the sores look pussy? If yes make sure to go to the Doc. Don't mess around with infections so close to the brain.

If not put lots of neosporin or bacitracin on them. Don't worry about scraping off the junk until after the neosporin softens it up a bit.

This does sound sad... but my son does have guncky ears so I could see how it could happen. Good Luck
    CocoMason

Answer by CocoMason at 11:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2008