What is your opinion on using the vinegar method for discipline?

Does it help? Does it work? Is it harmful? For or against?

marknsarahsmom

Asked by marknsarahsmom at 11:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• never heard of it.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:18 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I am not familiar with that but it "appears" or makes me think of giving kids vinegar when they need correction. THAT would be punishment - NOT discipline and since we try to use discipline with love and the consequences make sense to the "crime" I would not give any of my kids vinegar.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:21 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• not spraying, thats not what it is supposed to be. I just googled it this morning too, because I didnt know what it was. you put like a drop of vinegar in the mouth to discipline, as opposed to hitting or spanking, when time-out doesnt work.
    marknsarahsmom

Comment by marknsarahsmom (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• LMAO! it;s a crock. It is not abuse, it just isn't effective. My kids like vinegar & hot sauce on everything. It is laughable that some people consider it inappropriate to out a FOOD ITEM in a child's mouth.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:23 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Against it. It is no better than using hot sauce on their lips or fingers or something else like that. Its more torture then discipline.

Answer by gemgem at 11:23 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Never heard if it...
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 11:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• never heard of it, I hate the smell of vinegar so I will never use it on my kids.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I don't mind the smell of vinegar, but I was researching it after my sister-in-law mentioned to me she has a friend that uses it, and it works great. 3 and 5 and th ekids are the politest most well behaved little things. just from using a drop of vinegar.
    marknsarahsmom

Comment by marknsarahsmom (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Um i never heard of it, but i have a very stubborn 6 year old. She is very smart and uses it against me. When spanking, time out, and yelling doesn't work i use a very tiny piece of backers unsweetened chocolate. She is made to eat it. Like i said it's a tiny sliver of chocolate. I have only had to do it twice. We call it her naughty chocolate. I don't believe in hot sauce but i never really heard of the vinegar thing. Good luck
    katie201005

Answer by katie201005 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I'm not for it.. any use of a product like thta, soap, vinegar, hot sauce, etc is for one: ineffective.. for two, it can create fear or dislike in said punishment.. it would suck being 20 something and hating hot sauce because it use to be a punishment when you were a kid..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2011