Bill to End Pot Prohbiition , for or against?

Ron Paul, Barney Frank Introduce Bill to End Pot Prohbiition 

– 2 hrs 40 mins ago

The unlikely duo of Ron Paul and Barney Frank have unveiled legislation that would end the federal government's prohibition of marijuana and leave the legalization issue up to individual states. As they've said already, "this is not a legalization bill," according to a Frank spokesperson via The Wall Street Journal. Instead, it's an attempt to reconcile the illegality of the drug under federal law with the 16 states who have already made medical marijuana legal.

The House bill is being deemed the "the first bill ever introduced in Congress to end federal marijuana prohibition," by the Marijuana Policy Project, a group lobbying to make the drug legal. At Reason, Mike Riggs called up an MPP spokesman who parsed the bill's chances of being passed this way: "It's definitely going to get a serious debate, probably more in the media than on the floor of the House...But I think it needs to be debated on the floor."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:19 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't smoke marijuana.. but I don't think it should be illegal. It doesn't impair people nearly as much as alcohol or other legal prescription drugs (if not taken correctly).
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:21 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Don't care either way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Still not for legalization but leaving it up to the states if fine with me. I can live in any state I want and
    I'm pretty sure it would not pass in TX in my lifetime.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• the drug war would stop if things were legal!

The problem is stupid people that will do it just because they can. And that is the problem!!

We can educate the kids about drugs, but the parents have to stop using!!

kids DO get their drugs from the parents!!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• The problem is stupid people that will do it just because they can. And that is the problem!!

Has making drugs illegal stopped stupid people?

Is it the governments job to protect people from doing stupid things?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think it should be legal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I Live in California and I do not see what is wrong with Legalizing it. So many people smoke it anyway, what is the difference? Just slap a age limit on it and driving laws on it and tax it. I don't have a problem with them leaving it up to the state either. Every State is different with different personalities therefor legalizing or not legalizing would be different for every state. JMO
    Bayareamommy510

Answer by Bayareamommy510 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Is it the governments job to protect people from doing stupid things? sweetakins
    .......................................................................................................................................
    NO IT IS NOT THE GOVERNMENT JOB TO PROTECT STUPID PEOPLE FROM THEM-SELFS!!!!

Like I said the war on drugs has not worked, so maybe making it legal the war should stop? But like I also said, stupid people will do it just because it is legal.
    We need also education about drugs and that should start with the young kids. (Just the fact not lies)
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• the war on illegal drugs won't disappear with the legalization of marijuana gammie.. there are still pills, cocaine, crack, and a LOT of other drugs out there. Pot isnt even the worst of it... most pot dealers aren't gang bangers like the other dealers.

as for my personal opinion on the issue.. I could care less honestly... I'm not a pot smoker so it wont apply to me either way.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• We need a Bill to End Bawney Fwank
    Anonymous