Does anyone have a Prairie Dog??

I went to the pet store about a week ago and fell in LOVE with them. Does anyone have one....can tell me the bad qualities....so I'm not focased on the cuteness and such...LOL.
I need to talk myself out of this one.

mlmkjw

Asked by mlmkjw at 11:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Pets

• I'm sorry but keeping a prairie dog as a pet is so wrong.may not even be legal in certain counties. They are colonial creatures that need to live in a community and burrow. They do bark like dogs as well. They bite, because they are wild animals. And personally just because the local pet store has one for sale doesn't make it legal or ethical! I don't think you know what you are messing with!

I'm sorry but it really bothers me when people try to take wild animals and make them pets. Not to mention, have yiu heard of boubonic plague? By purchasing the animal you are encouraging it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• they like to live together, and honestly, they shouldn't be selling them in the pet store! They have an odor about them, I would try a ferret instead, more domesticated, they should be allowed to burrow in the wild. Sorry momma, I just have a problem with our society trying to turn wild animals into domesticated ones. It is going to require as much maintanence as a dog.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Well if he flat out said they have to be trained not to bite, I would put them on the "once the kids are gone" list too. Or at least until they are all in their late teens. If you want something adorable and exotic, try sugar gliders. They're adorable and are usually much more affectionate creatures. Just check the laws on them in your state. I know they're illegal here in PA. which makes me sad. Because I'd love to have one. Or a hedgehog. which are also illegal here. :\
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• These would be my concerns about prairie dogs: they are very new to domestication. These may even have been taken from the wild. They may not be well-socialized with people. As a new pet, it will be very hard to find vets with a good knowledge base to treat them (having had hedgehogs when they were a very new pet, I can't tell you how hard it was to find a vet who knew more than me about hedgehogs- and one of my hedgies sadly passed away while waiting for the knowledgeable exotics vet to open. The emergency vet took my two hundred dollars and did nothing for my pet because they didn't know what to do with hedgehogs.) Prairie dogs live in large colonies and burrow extensively- this seems really hard to replicate in a cage situation so I'm not sure that the pet would be happy. There are other, similar animals that are more accustomed to being pets, like chinchillas or guinea pigs- I would look at those, personally!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Don't those need to burrow? Would you keep it outside? Wouldn't it just tunnel itself away?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• It needs a large cage, like a farrett(sp??) With levels, and tunnels, and bedding, and LOTS of toys, because they're very energetic.
    mlmkjw

Comment by mlmkjw (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• See....the pet store told us their odor is minimal.....nothing compared to a ferret. Thats why I'm asking here....you cant trust people trying to sell you something. BUT the guy we talked to DIDNT seem to want to sell them. He seemed very protective. Like, MAKING SURE they would go to a good home...not just someone who thought they were cute. Thats why I trusted him a bit more than I normally would.
    mlmkjw

Comment by mlmkjw (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Oh ferrets have an odor as well, but you can have thier gland removed when you get the spayed,, Are you sure he is supposed to be selling them? I know in my city we have a law about wild animals being kept for pets, everything from lions,,lol to racoons. They are meant to be wild animals,, idk momma,,,I think it might be alot more to handle than you think!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I have such a soft spot for animals....especially the rare ones. I was planning to be a zoologist ever since I was very young. My husband and I plan to adopt monkeys once the children are grown. And, when we took our children to the zoo a few months back, the 2 things I wanted to see the most were the otters (my FAVORITE) and the prairie dogs....and the weren't out :(. I was so bummed. But, yes, the pet store is a very well established business. They're legal to sell, and like I said, the guy was honest. He flat out said they have to be trained not to bite and such, because they are newer to the domesticated lifestyle.
    mlmkjw

Comment by mlmkjw (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• They are a rodent. Have you ever been to South Dakota? They are every-freaking-where, and aren't really that cute. They aren't a good housepet, they need to be outside, in the wild, with their families.
    Anonymous