Calling 800 #'s & American jobs...

I just got this e-mail, thought I'd share. Anyone know how true this is???

*********************************************************************
Any time you call an 800 number (for a credit card, banking, charter communications, health and other insurance, computer help desk, etc) and you find that you're talking to a foreign customer service representative (perhaps in India, Philippines, etc), please consider doing the following:

After you connect and you realize that the customer service representative is not from the USA (you can always ask if you are not sure about the accent), please, very politely
(this is not about trashing other cultures) say, "I'd like to speak to a customer service representative in the United States of America."

The rep might suggest talking to his/her manager, but, again, politely say, "Thank you, but I'd like to speak to a customer service representative in the USA." YOU WILL BE IMMEDIATELY CONNECTED TO A REP IN THE USA. That's the rule and the LAW.

It takes less than one minute to have your call re-directed to the USA.
Tonight when I got redirected to a USA rep, I asked again to make sure - and yes, she was from Fort Lauderdale.

Imagine what would happen if every US citizen insisted on talking to only US phone reps from this day on. Imagine how that would ultimately impact the number of US jobs that would need to be created ASAP. If I tell 10 people to consider this and you tell 10 people to consider doing this - see what I mean...it becomes an exercise in viral marketing 101.

Remember - the goal here is to restore jobs back here at home - not to be abrupt or rude to a foreign phone rep. You may even get correct answers, good advice, and solutions to your problem - in real English.

Crafty26

Asked by Crafty26 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• I always ask for a US customer service rep

Answer by rkoloms at 4:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Or THEY are saying? Not you..lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• It's not a law that they have to transfer you, or even inform you that you're calling overseas. Some companies do not even HAVE American counterparts that can field the questions you're asking. By all means, you can ask to be transfered. But that doesn't mean it's going to get you anywhere and it certainly won't be bringing any jobs back to the states. Companies outsource call centers because it costs them pennies on the dollar compared to having them in the states. Only legislation will change this situation.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 1:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Yes we do.. but those people need jobs too.. if they are LEGAL I see no problem with it. They come here because they can't find jobs in their country.. If people here are griping about it..move to a different country like they did.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• check it on snopes.com
    Anonymous

• Yeah, your right anon... I still wanted to put it out there... can't hurt to try it, right? ;o)

Crafty26

Comment by Crafty26 (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• SuperrMommyy.... I think it's more about keeping jobs in the USA... something we NEED to do

Crafty26

Comment by Crafty26 (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• i think its a good idea.. I cant understand accents very well. also people in america need jobs so why the hell are other counties dealing with us? makes no sense to me.
    Anonymous

• It's not talking about people here.... it's talking about when you call and are connected to a call center in India or some other country. You ask to be connected back to an American based site. Do you realize companies farm off all your financial info to cites around the world?? A lot of banks do this - outsource to what they call "key farms".... it takes jobs away from AMERICA in general ;o(

Crafty26

Comment by Crafty26 (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• So you're saying you wouldn't get correct answers, good advice or solutions with a non US worker. I don't care where the customer service rep is from..as long as they help me. The only time I would ask for a different rep would be if the original one is being rude or couldn't help me & I sure as heck wouldn't specifiy I want an American.
    SuperrMommyy