Is it okay to lift heavy during pregnancy?

when should you stop lifting heavy objects or pulling heavy skids

apeyhen

Asked by apeyhen at 12:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• ask your dr.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 12:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Depends on what you consider heavy. Most times docs will say if you've always lifted there's no reason to stop if you're able (like carrying a child in your arms or lifting at work) but not to START lifting if you never have before

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I have read in a pregnancy book that most people can safely lift light weight furniture and the like, AS LONG AS you are putting the most force on your arms and legs rather than your core. Other sources say not to lift more than 10 or 20 lbs. I think it depends on you and your strength and whether you lift things properly, as well as your own personal miscarriage risk. If you are not used to lifting anything over 10 lbs without straining and huffing and puffing and pulling the muscles in the gut... then I would not start now. To be sure on your personal risks and abilities, ask your doctor and go over those things with him.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I was told not to lift more than about 20lbs, and when I had my miscarriage the doc. told me it was because I was lifting too much.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I agree with butterflyblue19 dont over due yourself. listen to your Doc. and take it easy !!! your baby will thank you for it!!
    mommyx3me

Answer by mommyx3me at 12:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• my doctor tells you not to lift more than 25 pounds. He tells you this at your first visit
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My OB says no more than 20lbs and do not strain urself it thats too much
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 1:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• If you can lift it easily(10-20 lbs), it should be fine. If you have to strain, it is most likely to heavy. Also pulling uses different muscles than lifting. But talk to your doctor, he will be more familiar with your situation and be able to give you a clearer answer.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 1:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2011