Epidurals vs. Blocks

Please tell me of your experiences with either one, I'm trying to decide between the two..

Squirellybur

Asked by Squirellybur at 12:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Basically the same thing, talk to your doctor.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Vaginal or cesarean? Docs don't do spinal blocks for vaginal births,you'd be completely numb!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Their pretty much the samething. You get and epi if your in labor and a block if your a planned c section.. i hated them both. i had no chioice bc i was having c sections. But bc i went into labor with my 1st they gave me an epi. they both hurt making me numb. they both made me itch and throw up. if i could have pushed my kids out i wouldnt have gotting any
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I had an epidural, and it was my absolute saviour! I swore down I'd never have one, just gas & air, but when it came to it, and the labour had lasted over 16 hours, I NEEDED something stronger than gas & air! It was brilliant, only thing was, I couldn't go home straight, and I found it very hard to push because I was numb from the waist down. Weird sensation!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 12:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I've had both..
    My first epidural experience was amazing.. no problems..couldn't feel a thing
    My second baby decided to try to enter the world before I had my epidural so they gave me a quick block.. no problems..couldn't feel a thing.
    My second epidural experience was with my third daughter.. it was AWFUL! The anesthesiologist put the epidural needle a tiny bit too far and went threw this thin layer he shouldn't have. I had a spinal headache for 10 days after..couldn't sit up..couldn't see straight.. had to stay in bed for that long.. It SUCKED!!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Just adding on, I didn't feel the needle going in at all, I think I was in soo much pain that it really didn't bother me when I had a needle going in my spine!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 12:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Ive had both....2 of my vaginal delievers were epidurals and the spinal block was with the Csection.
    After i had the spinal block about 3 hours later i started getting a severe headache and couldnt even move my eyes back and forth without feeling like someone was beating me in the head. This went on for a day or so till finally the doctor came in and i told him what was going on...they gave me a 6 pack of pepsi to drink (which is supposed to help a spinal headache). That didnt help so they gave me the caffeine drip. That didnt help so the next day i had to get a spinal patch. Which means they used to big of a needle in my back and my spinal fluid was leaking out and causing this SEVERE headache. Im talking like i just wanted to die, thats how bad it was. After they did the blood patch i had to lay flat on my back and very still for 2 hours.....So i wouldnt reccomend a spinal at all...espically if there is someone in training
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• If i ever decide to have any more kids...i think i will just go through with the pain...never again will i have a needle in my back. Hurts like hell and ive had problems with my back since
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• When I had my son I didn't really plan on getting anything for pain but after I was about 7 or 8 cm dilated I decided to get an epidural and it was the best choice I could have made. I didn't feel the needle going in at all but it was kind of hard to sit still because I was having a contraction at the time. The next contraction I had was completely painless and I was finally relaxed enough that I slept for 2 hours until the doctor came and told me it was time to push. Pushing didn't hurt either and I could still feel when I had a contraction when my belly would tighten so I knew when to push. It only took me 5 minutes and I had my little man in my arms. I never had any itching, nausea, or headaches from the epidural.
    fergie92

Answer by fergie92 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I had an epi with both of my kids. I felt a tingle from the needle going in, but it was more like being tickled then something sharp. My delivery went smooth and fast for both of them. Be cause of heart surgery a few years before, my cardiologist wanted me to get one as soon as I got to the hospital. As soon as I got into a LDR(Labor and Delivery Room) I got the epi within 15 minutes. Even if it weren't for the heart issue I would have gotten one. I was more relaxed, so baby was not as stressed from the birth.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 12:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2011