Would you want your son or daughter to be President of the United States?

It seems (especially with the deepening divide between parties this past decade) that no matter who you are or what you try to do, if you are President, you are gonna get a lot of crap from somewhere.

patriotic

Once upon a time, aspiring to be President of the United States was the loftiest goal one could hope for their child.    I s   t h a t   s t i l l   t r u e ?

ss_mom

Asked by ss_mom at 12:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No, but if that's what they chose to do with their life, I'd learn to live with it and be proud and support him/her.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• If it is what they wanted to do then I would support them.

Answer by gemgem at 12:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Nope. They are great kids, show great potential in life, but no..
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• If they wanted to be president I would support them, but they would not be happy because they would not sell out!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• i do, but i dont. it would be amazing for one of my kids to have aspired & achieved the highest most important job in our country...how could a mom not be proud?! but at the same time...the stress, the danger, & the hatred some ppl have for the President would be so scary!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I would. I know my kids,and I know what their values, morals and priorities are,and I honestly think they could in fact make a real difference in the country,and world. Would I want them to turn dishonest, and as NP said waste the millions campaigning,or throw their values away to get elected? No, of course not. I also agree with what NP said about the qualified not running. That is very true.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• It's not my first choice for him but i wouldn't cry my self to sleep over it.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• >t seems (especially with the deepening divide between parties this past decade) that no matter who you are or what you try to do, if you are President, you are gonna get a lot of crap from somewhere<

This is not new. Even George Washington got "a lot of crap from somewhere" and he is the only president to have won the presidency unilaterally. The Presidency has been a thankless job from day 1. There's always someone ready to moan and groan over something you've done. This is not new. Bipartisanship took hold of American politics the day the first Congress convened in 1789. Wait, that's wrong. it goes back even farther than that.

To answer the original question - I don't want my kids to be anything other than successful in the field of their own choosing. I don't have aspirations for them other than to be happy in what they select to do.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• No but then neither do I want them to do anything that involves the spotlight to much. The press invades their private lives, the children are under a microscope and there is no such thing as making a mistake. They judge you by the clothes you wear. If they cost to much you're extravagant but if you buy them off the rack you're supporting a foreign country. If you drink you're a drunk even if it's just one sip. You age quickly as President. The stress is tremendous. You run for President and then as soon as you win you have to start thinking about it all over again. I think that many of our brightest are to smart to want to be President.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I would never hope or wish that kind of stress on my child but I would certainly encourage them and stand beside them if that was something they aspired to do.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2011