I need help with behavior problems in 10 yr old

do behavior cds transitional programs really help?

teizanba

Asked by teizanba at 1:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• cds?
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 1:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Send them to a boot camp to teach them some respect and discipline if you can't parent your child.
    Anonymous

• I put both of my sons in martial arts a year ago, and the change has been remarkable. They have concentrated on discipline, self-control, and respect. I know it's not for everyone, but for us, it's been incredibly helpful.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I have not personally tried them, but if they are cd's for you to learn about dealing with a child who has behavoir problems, I would go for it because you can determine what you think about the product.

If it is for the child to learn from the cd's, I wouldn't do it unless it is highly rated by other parents.

I do know usually children of that age begin behavior problems because they have things going on in their life they do not know how to solve and they require you as the parent to subtley help them learn how to solve their problems. Not with force or by giving them advice and waiting to see what they do, but with active listening so you guide then to a safe solution. You see this all the time on family programs like 7th heaven.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I saw JulieJacobKyle's post after I posted mine. I know lots of kids that has worked for!!!!! There is always one out of a many who uses his new martial skills in a negative way, so you have to choose something very calming like Aikido.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Yes, and it really depends on what and how they are taught. If you have a Victory school near you, you might want to stop in and check it out. They focus really heavily on each cycle's life skills: communication, respect, self esteem, discipline, honesty, and belief (their motto is "yes, I can".) The instructors there have really backed us up, even taking away my son's belt when he was disrespectful to me. My son's grades have come up a LOT, too. It's great to have another adult who my kids look up to who can be super strict and back us up.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I believe it depends on the child and there spirit, some people listen better than others, some resent being force or told what to do, to be honest, I would do about anything if someone asked, but if you demand me than I wouldnt do it no matter what. It depends on the sevirty of the behavior, and it also depends on how you handle the situation, sometimes we as parents give in to a child for 8 years and then wonder why they are out of control, its because thats what they know, thats how they run the show, I firmly belive that unless it a mental disorder than theres a reason our children are acting out, its been allowed, or we have spoiled them so intently that they cant listen to reason, without getting what they want, if there are cds that help this than I would def say do that, you can bend a tree when its young,
    kellylong78

Answer by kellylong78 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2011