Is this to much for a 6 year old to know?

I am 8 months pregnant. My 6 year old has asked a lot of queastions so I answer as she asks. Anyway, she knows that when the baby is ready to come out that my bag of water will break. She know that the baby live in water and in a bag. She knows that the doctor has to get the baby out and that mom has to help. She knows that mommy has to push like she is going potty. She knows how the baby gets out as well. She knows the baby eats through the cord. I mean she is really smart. But is it wrong of me to tell her so much? I mean she even knows that the doctor looks down there to get the baby out. That part I didn't tell her she learned from me watching a baby story.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not at all. My daughter knew all that at 4 when her sister was born.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think the more she learns from you, the better!! My daughter is 4 and we often get children's educational books at the library that include realistic pictures. She has also viewed very graphic birth videos when I was unsure if she would be present for the birth of her younger sister. Kids don't have the privacy issues that we have as adults, they just find it facinating! :)

As for incorrect info, I have to agree with Obbie. I would NEVER tell anyone that the doctor needed to help the baby out, as this is untrue. The doctor is there to assist IF there is a problem, and usually any problems are minor and can be taken care of immediately. The doctor does not have to pull the baby out, and in fact by doing so can cause problems such as broken collar bone (baby) and bad tears (mom).
    squish

Answer by squish at 8:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• No its good.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Nope. :)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think its great!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• No. I think it is great she is so curious and wants to be involved.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• OBBYDOBBIE
    \
    how is this untrue info? The doctor does have to help. He is down there pulling the baby and through csection he does have to take the baby out. I told her mommy has to help by pushing so how is this untrue info?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think she meant to a six year old it might in her mind make her think the doctor is hurting or damaging you or the bab. anyhoo god bless you for speaking the truth to her!!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think this is ALL perfectly normal and my 6 yr old knew most of this at 4, since her brother was born then. I too watched a baby story, it takes the questions away for them, I even had my older boys watch it when I was preggo with the newer one- so they could understand better. That yes, there is pain, yes there is cords/IVs medicine, ect... but at the end mom and baby are fine and you get a blessing to add to your family. I am all for being open if they are old enough to ask, tell them- so they don't go along in life uninformed or misinformed.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 1:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My 3 y/o DD knows all of that info and more. It's great that you're telling her everything so that she knows it's normal and natural and not at all scary. Don't be afraid to give her real words either, like uterus, cervix, vagina, cesearn section, etc.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 2:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2011