I have a serious question about adoption

I have a 5 yr old daughter. She has live with my mother since she was 1. My mom has guardianship over her right now. She would like to adopt my daughter. I dont have any objections to it. My daughter knows I am her mother and the my mom is her Nana. I was just wondering if my name would be taken off the birth certificate and my moms name put on it. Can we have any terms for this adoption. Like visitation. Or do I have no rights what so ever no mater what ?I really dont want that to happen. And I am contenplating the whole situation. If that will take place.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if your mom adopts your daughter, legally she would then be your sister and you would have no rights to her.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• If your mother legally adopts your daughter, she will be on your daughter's birth certificate and your name will be taken off. You can have terms for the adoption written up, like visitation. I would speak to a lawyer.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Once you sign your parental rights away that is that. You do not legally have a right at that point to have visitation or make any type of decisions - such as medical. While this may be a good choice for you, we don't know your specific situation, I would urge you to think very carefully about the choice you are making. For example, let's say you get engaged to this wonderful man but your mother has some concerns about him. She can refuse to let you visit with her daughter (your daughter) if she so desires. If this were me (and I truly don't know your circumstances), I would continue to let my mother have guardianship, make a will giving custody to her in the event of my death, and continue on as mother. I am sure it may be a lot more complicated and we don't know all the details. So I'm just posting my intial thoughts with the information given.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I was adopted out to strangers when I was 18 months old,you have had your daughter this longand I know what will happen,I,m living proof that adoption sucks.And the fact is ,they just dont erase your name and put your moms name,once you finalize the adoption a NEW CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH will be issued to your daughter and the B.C you have will be VOID FOREVER,they can change her name ,her birthday if they chose,you will lose ALL RIGHTS TO HER FOREVER. We as adoptees fell stripped from our original identies,also you and your mom may be tight right now but when that adoption goes thru you may never be able to see your child again till 18 years of age,please dont do it, I dont know your situation but this will be devistating to her as she gets older,please keep in touch and let me know how this all turns out.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 2:02 AM on Mar. 15, 2009