Daughter raising brother?

Hi i feel like i am raising my brother when my mom is sopposed to be doing that, Whenever he gets in trouble she trys to put him in time out but he never listens , then she goes SAM (me) then dont make me get sam since u seem to listen to her more than me. So im just thinking "What the hell?" Its really starting to tick me of i have my 2 month old i have to concentrate on racing how am i soppossed to get him to listen to her?
He is a TOTALLY diffrent 5 yr old boy with me, he is always considerate as far as being quiet so my lo can take a nap, but as soon as she gets home and walks in door BAM a totally diffrent kid, he is such a freaking brat around her, and i think its bc she is always aggervated over something she says i do the same which sometimes i do but damn she passing the aggervation to me , i am in a really good mood all day until they come home. btw I sometimes watch him he doesnt stay with me all the time. Im afraid to tel her how i feel bc she might kick me out or something idk!! long story as to y i live with mom, so what do i do in this situation, i dont have a room or anything to go to just my bros room and i cant exzactley do that when she trys to send him to his room!! i dont know what to do can someone plz help? Btw i help my mother out by cleaning house etc so...

renah164

Asked by renah164 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well.. when you live there.. she may think that you are there to help as well.. Talk to her.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• How old are you?
    Anonymous

• 19
    renah164

Comment by renah164 (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Be the adult and stand up to your mother. Tell her that you cannot raise your brother and your own child at the same time because you are your brother's sister not his mother.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• i guess its all on how you look at it. when i was 19 i had my own place, single and no kids yet. when my parents split i ended up taking care of my brother, 14 at the time. yeah it sucked that i couldnt do what i wanted since i had to make sure he was taken care of but i wouldnt change it. i had a hand in raising him and he turned out very well, we are now closer to each other.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• dont look at it as taking as taking care of him but as spending quality time with him. i could understand how tryin to parent your brother and your own child could be a pain, since you are living with your mom might as well make the best of it. and if he minds better for you than your mom that means he respects you, thats a big thing. if it bothers you that much just talk to her about it and set some boundaries. your mom is taking adavtange of you, i just hope you arent taking that out on your brother
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• no im not , i like the fact that i can help her raise him but she isnt helping to much, im just gonna continue to disipline him bc if i stop all hell will break lose lol i have disiplined him and watched him when he was 2 ys old then i eft for certain reasons that are simular to this,i agree she is taking advantage of me but my bro needs disipline and if he only listens to me then so be it bc im not just gonna sit round watching my mom raise him like she did me:men first, she says she doesnt but....idk
    renah164

Comment by renah164 (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• That is pretty common for a kid that age to behave better for others and not his mom....My kids went through that when they were young.....If you are living there, I think you should be helping, but not be his main caretaker, if that makes sense....but there is no way to be a family living in the same house and you not help...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Oh i totally understand/agree i help all i can and when i get the chance to , i live here too i sure aint looking at a messy house all day lol but yea i understand where ur coming from, thanks for ur honesty :)
    renah164

Comment by renah164 (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2011