Has anyone gone back to school online?

This fall I have decided to use the time my kids are in school to take some online college courses. My youngest will only go for 3 hours a day, but I know that there will be days when I will need more then those 3 hours to do the work. I'm looking for ideas from anyone else who has had similar experience with their little ones. How did you incorperate your education into mommyland? My kids are almost 5 and 6 years old.

Raey84

Asked by Raey84 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in

• You find a way. Last year I took 17 credit hours in one semester so I could finish up with my Bachelor's degree before we moved to another state. It wasn't easy. Took up a lot of my time but I managed to pull it off. If it's something you really want, you'll find ways to fit it in :)
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 2:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• it's very tough! i couldn't do online course bc i could never make myself actually do the work, but i am currently going to the university here and i go part time. i also work full time, so i try to work on my hw while i'm not busy at work. after the kids go to bed is sometimes a good time to work on school work also, if you aren't too tired by then! Good Luck!! It's definitely rewarding!
    abannist

Answer by abannist at 2:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• not exactly, but i have taken an online course, and i would NOT do it again. you have to be self motivated and have to be able to teach yourself in a way, i had no problem with that. my problem was when i wasnt sure about an assignment i had to email the instructor and hope he got back to me within a reasonable amount of time and even then there were some stuff i wasnt clear on..im a visual learner, I remember stuff better through examples and being directly in front of that person or at least in the same room so i can get immediate feed back. online courses has its advantages cause you can for the most part work around your schedule but it requires motivation and dedication.
    my one class had assignments due on tuesdays and thursday by 10 pm. so i would wait until the kids were in bed and did homework/studies late at night, even with my classes on campus i did my homework after kids were in bed.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• You can get up much earlier. I always find that getting up at 5am(sometimes 4:30) is the best quiet time when I'm not exhausted. At the end of the day, I'm just not fresh in my mind it seems. I can't focus well after all day long but, if I go to bed at a decent hour and have my cup of java, I'm more fresh and can focus and think better first thing in the morning. That works for me. I'm taking Med Transcription so I can work at home. Good Luck to you and good for you too!!! :-)
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• that being said going back to college is hard with kids, doesnt matter if its on campus or online, its insanly hard to try to do home work with kids always wanting your attention. BUT it can be done i just finished a one year program at my local college with 3 kids at home and my dh the only one working. it was far from easy but so very worth it. if you want it bad enough it will happen. good luck
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:42 AM on Jul. 4, 2011