"Is God Responsible for Human Wickedness?"

(This question has been asked in its various forms on CM many times, here's a take on it if you're interested.)

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 2:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I don't have time to check out the link right now because I'm heading out, but the short answer to the question is no. Humans are always responsible for their own actions, always. No reason to pass off blame or credit to anyone else for what they choose to do.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Nope. People are responsible for their own actions.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Hmmm...this is my thought on it:

God did make humans so even though, we have free will, God, who is all powerful, can have some control if he wanted to.

I did not read your link.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I don't have time to read the link.

Humans are responsible for their own behaviour.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Not any more than a parent is responsible for its creation's behavior..once the 'creation' is old enough to know better and has acted on its own volition.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Not at all.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• desperateat48... so your saying SATAN created evil? In that case, isn't he just as powerful as God because he's a creator as well? God himself says HE created evil:

Isaiah 45:7 and Amos 3:6 • (Isaiah 45:7, KJV) - "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." • (Amos 3:6) - "Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?"

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I don't believe in god, so the short answer is no. However I think the BELIEF in god (read: any deity) has been responsible for plenty of human wickedness.

Also, if god did exist and was omnipotent as claimed, wouldn't he be indirectly responsible for bad things humans do? For example, if a man is about to shoot an elderly lady and I am standing right behind him with a taser in my purse, but I don't taser him and he kills her, do I escape all blame because I didn't shoot her myself? Even if I didn't kill her personally, I could have prevented her death and chose not to... doesn't that make me just as responsible for her death? In my book, yes, and the same would go for god if there was one.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• If there were a god who prided himself for having created everything--claims that there would be nothing here without him--then it stands to reason that "human wickedness" would be among those things he created, either directly or indirectly. In my mind, it makes it a good thing that he doesn't really exist.  It would be a bit of a conundrum to be forced (er . . sorry. . . given the choice) to worship someone who makes promises and threats for an eternal life of bliss or pain based on your willingness to worship him, and is the source of all good as well as all evil in the world.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• If a god is thought to be omnipotent, then nothing is outside of that god, including "evil." The freewill clause does not excuse the omnipotent god from the cause or result of anything.

clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2011