FREE BIRTHING?!

i seen and read things about this. it seems so dangerous, some women dont go to the doctor at all and they dont have a ob or midwife present at the birth. what if you are breech or the shoulder gets stuck or if the cord gets wrapped around the neck. you could even bleed to death. im all for natural or at home birthing, i was chemical free for both of mine, but this just sounds like too much, your baby could die! the first few minutes of life are your most dangerous

am i the only one thats a little concerned about this? do you know anyone that had done this successfully? id love to know more

learae

Asked by learae at 5:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't do it but to each their own.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• That does sound pretty dangerous. I'm with you, I'm all about natural child birth and I'd love to have a home birth, but I'd want someone who was trained specifically for child birth. I used a midwife for my son's birth. This is just too out there, even for me.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• omg. i know a lady who has like 10 kids. she's had at least 5 of them in her own home with no doctor or midwife or anything. she is insane! but i guess she just feels confident probably since she's had so many kids and has been through it that many times.
    oOmomaliciousOo

Answer by oOmomaliciousOo at 6:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Yes it does sound dangerous, but for thousands of years it was done like that.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 7:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I would do it. You have to be confident in your ability to have a baby. Women were meant to give birth and babies were meant to be born. It is not as if you go into it without any knowledge. You go into the birthing experience knowing that you doing what your body was meant to do.
    Statistically, it is fairly rare for babies to be born breech. Babies are born with their cord around their neck all the time. You just stop and unwrap the cord.
    While I had a midwife with my first, and I am with our second to please my husband... with any other children we have, my husband and I will catch them on our own.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 7:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Most of the women that do this, are educated about birth and prenatal care to do it alone... For the prenatal care, you can do exactly what obs,midwives do in the office ie: urine,bp,fundal measurements. My friend just had a UC, i was there and her dh, thats it. Everything was completely safe and she was low risk... So basically it should be your own decision.. It's not for everyone. Dh and I are both EMTs and planning our 1st UC, hopefully in the next few days/weeks!
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• ITA with mamaof2748. The women who do this are highly educated and have low risk pregnancies (really most pregnancies ARE low risk). They have prepared for the birth the entire pregnancy and often years before. Obviously it's not for everyone, and even as a birth junkie/professional, the first time I heard about it, I thought oh my! We are taught to view birth as a medical procedure or event when in reality it is a safe, healthy, normal event.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 8:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• KnoxvilleDoula, you hit the nail on the head... why do we have to view birth as a medical procedure? I chose not to and people think I am crazy.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• there was a documentary on discovery health about how its a growing trend in europe and of all the women on it only a couple seemed to know what they were doing. one woman didnt know how to get the placenta out and finally had to go to the hospital. another tied the umbilical cord up with what looked like shoe string and they cut the cord with a pair of scissors that were just ran under some tap water
    it just didnt seem right! i couldnt believe what i was seeing! but it is good to hear that thats not the norm and that most of the women (hopefully) know what they are doing and know what to expect. id like to think that anyone doing this is educated and familiar with the workings of a human body, at least a good bit
    learae

Answer by learae at 3:37 PM on Dec. 14, 2008