Make 3 year old clean up his own mess in the kitchen?

I was wondering does anybody else that has a child that no matter how many times u tell them to eat nice and not make a big mess just does it anyway? I have that kind of kid.
I was wondering if every time he throws food on the floor to make him sweep it up and put in the garbage with one of the little duster brooms, and make him wipe up his own table when he decides to put his yogurt on the table and smears it in or cookies, or cereal. some times he even dumps his juice or milk on the floor and gets it all sticky, do i make him clean that up and make him get on his hands and knees and wipe it up then go back later and try to get the stickiness out of the floor.
Do u guys think it is harsh to make him do that, and it is my job to do it even though he is three? Or should he learn if he makes the mess he needs to clean it up like his toys before nap time and bed time. I don't know

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• i mean i am sick and tired of doing it every day, and he even asks me mommy are u cleaning my mess.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Good for you mama. Teach him early that he needs to clean up after himself. Far too few mother's just pick up after their children thinking they are only young once and then wonder why they won't pick up their messes when they become teenagers.
    Anonymous

• My Dd has been helping clean up after herself since she turned 3. I don't expect her to do it flawlessly but she does have to do her best.

It is just teaching responsibility. You are not the maid and if you don't teach them to pick up after themselves, you will always be doing it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Hell yes make him clean it up. The minute he starts throwing food, take it away and make him clean up his mess. Then don't let him eat till the next meal, they do learn
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• i def think u shuld make him clean it up. You shud tell him the maids off today. lol
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 2:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Yes, he can clean up his mess.

I do not agree with zakysmommy though. Do NOT use food as punishment or rewards, good way for a child to develop eating disorders.

Let him eat, then he cleans up his mess. NO special desserts after though. If he throws something, he doesn't get more of that food, he eats whatever else is left over.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I recently made a chore list for my 3 yo and on it is clearing his dishes from the table and wiping it down (he has a little Cars table where he eats and does activities). Now that he realized that it's his responsibility he is much neater and takes pride in doing a good job. it's never too early to teach kids responsibility.

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 3:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think you should have him help clean up his mess.

My son is 2.5 and has been helping me clean up since he was able to walk. It is just part of our routine. He helps me make the meal, set the table, and clean up after. It's just what we do.
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Um.. yeah he makes he cleans it (with help - he won't do as good a job as you and it will take longer and be more work but >>> GOOD JOB!!!!
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2011