Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Homeless 18 yr old adult content

My sister knows someone who will turn 18 in a couple of weeks. She doesn't have an education or drivers licence and there is a possibility her parent may ask her to leave the home very shortly after her 18th birthday. She has no family to stay with or help her out.

My sister and I would like to find out ways to help her. She can't stay with my sister (her dh wouldn't want that) and I live several states away.

Any suggestions? We're looking and trying to find out information that will help her.

Thanks :-)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • does she have children either way she could try section 8 housing. also try finding a friend to stay with & get a job asap to help with rent.!

    Answer by jennifer_oakley at 2:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

  • Well I think the first thing to do is to call 211 (untied way) they will be familiar with all of the local agencies and how they can help.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 2:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

  • *united way

    Answer by But_Mommie at 2:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

  • Does she have a problem moving to another state? I would send for her if you really want to help and then have her start looking for a job and or go back to school for her G.E.D. Lend a helping hand until she gets on her feet to move back to her home state or stay in your area and get an apartment etc... otherwise, I would look into shelters in her area and see what kind of programs are offered or other resources.

    Answer by geminisummerz at 2:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

  • I was 19 and homeless with the likely hood that no one would help me...but my brothers wifes parents took me in. I call them mom and dad. My hope life with my bio mom was not good at all.

    Even when you think that no one will be able to help, there is always someone there that can get you back on your feet.

    You could try local homeless shelters, there she might be able to find a job, and get herself on her feet. Government assistance, things like that.

    Answer by monstersmommy20 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

  • Does she have a job at all? I moved out on my 18th birthday and got a tiny crappy apartment. I was living on less than 6 bucks an hour. It certainly isn't easy, but it can be done.

    Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

  • I would dial 211 in the local area.. that should connect her with UNITED WAY and they would have information on all kinds of recources.

    Answer by MommaB30 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

  • I suggest she work out things with her parents and not run away from her problems. Get that education and driver license out of the way so can be a responsible adult and not depend on someone else to bail her out.

    Answer by musicmom08 at 8:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

  • Look into JobCorps. They provide job training, room, board and maybe even a little spending money. It's a great program.

    Answer by BluDog at 2:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.