What is the best age to see a movie in the theater?

We would love to take our just turned 3 year old to see Cars. Is he too young?

AngZacc

Asked by AngZacc at 2:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think he is a bit young. As long as you go with the expectation of having to get up and make at least one trip to the bathroom half way through, and don't be disappointed if he gets scared or bored or falls asleep. :D We found the kids didn't really appreciate the movie experience until they were about 7 or 8, but you can see how it goes. Get lots of snacks and drinks too!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think it depends on the kid.

But for me, my Son just turned 4 over two weeks ago, and His first theater movie will be Cars 2. He is THE #1 Fan, no one loves Cars/McQueen/Mater more than my Little Man! So He's going to see it this week and cannot wait..neither can I!
    .MhacFoirfe.

Answer by .MhacFoirfe. at 3:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I started taking my DD when she was 18 months..we have a free program in the summer where I live and I have to older children that were 3 and 5 at the time so we all went. I think that if he can sit and watch a movie at home it might be fun. I also think it depends on the child, although that is a very kid friendly movie. I would just be prepared to leave if you have to.

When we went to the free program people had children of all ages there, it wasn't about being quiet so much as something to do with your kids that was free,
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• It depends on the child. If he can behave for two hours so you can all enjoy the movie, he's old enough. My son wasn't 2 yet when we took him to his 1st and he was excellent! Then, his attention span changed and he's more active, so he can't make it through even half the movie.
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think he'll love it.

My son's first movie was the last Shrek, last summer - he was just over two. He sat through the whole thing (aside from a potty break) and really liked it.

He's since forgotten about that, and we went to see Kung Fu Panda two weeks ago (he's three years old now). He LOVED it. He was literally screaming with excitement for about the first twenty minutes, and he sat through the whole thing.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• We took the three year old, but we took her older cousins too. This gave her an example of how to behave in a theater. She loves being the big girl and doing what they do.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Thanks ladies. This is great feedback. DH really wants to take him!
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I would say try it. You will never know the outcome or how it may go until you get there. We took my son to his 1st movie when he was 1 1/2 and and he sat quietly, watched the movie, & enjoyed his snacks. I think having something for them to snack on helps. If your husband really wants to take him I would tell him to go for it!!! There is no harm in trying it out plus he will never get use to it if he is never exsposed to it. That was the advice that was given to me when I took my son. I hope it helps you as well. Good luck!!
    SunShine_31

Answer by SunShine_31 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• We took our son last year at the age of 2 to see Toy Story and He watched the whole movie without a fuss! We go to the drive ins now since we have a 7 month old to. It is easier and my son could play with laser swords out there!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:36 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I'd wait till it comes out on DVD. Three is too young, they can't control their bodies or attention spans. I feel five or six is good for a theatre experience.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2011