breastfeeding frustration..opinions would help...

my baby girl will be 1 month old on 12/16/08 ive been trying to breastfeed her but its so frustrating and tiring,,ive read every where that breast feeding is the best but she eats about every 1 and a half hours and i feel like im tied to her ..im afraid to run to the store because she might get hungry and how do i deal with breastfeeding in public? any advice?

mom2b112108

Asked by mom2b112108 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've been there! It actually took me a month to get my son to nurse, and then he ate every 2 hours for an hour! It's really rough, but once you get the idea of your baby's pattern you can kind of start planning things around the eating schedule. I found out what worked best for me when breastfeeding in public was to nurse under a fitted crib sheet. I think I prefer it because the fitted corner fits well over my shoulder to keep it in place while I nursed my son. Very often I would time feedings so that I got to a store, sat down and nursed, and then had the most time possible to shop, get home and put cold items away and then sit down to nurse the baby again. If you need someone to talk to, feel free to message me!!!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• i would suggest pumping. im kind of having a hard time with it though. but if you've got a good supply, (i dont) you can stock it up in your fridge or freezer and pack a bottle with you to the store. thats what i'd like to do.
    oOmomaliciousOo

Answer by oOmomaliciousOo at 6:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• You should join a breastfeeding group on cafemom. There are some really good ones. It will get easier, I promise. My baby is 5 months old and we've had some problems, but it is well worth it. Good luck!
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• That's all a part of nursing, you're supposed to nurse that often. No one said it would be easy. You can do anything you put your mind to, and if breastfeeding is what you want to do then you're going to have to not shy away from nursing in public and get used to having the baby on your boob all the time. Don't worry, it gets easier.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• The first time or few times you nurse in public you may have to just force yourself...but then you'll realize one day that it isn't a big deal anymore. Check out a video on my profile for easy discrete public nursing.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 7:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Try one of the slings, they are great, because you can move around while feeding the baby hands free, and just throw a receiving blanket over your shoulder. One of the good part of breastfeeding is all the close time you get to spend with your baby. The feedings will slow down and at some point you will quit. Then you will miss all the time that you could spend with the baby without all the squirming and pushing away. Don't worry about breastfeeding in public either. Anyone that has a problem with it can go kiss your ass. And anyone that says something like, why don't you do that in the bathroom, ask them if they would eat their cheeseburger sitting on a public toilet. Just enjoy the breastfeeding while you can.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 7:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I agree with "boy or girl", the sling are great. make sure that you get an adjustable one (not a peanut) with a ring that goes on the shoulder that had a long peice of fabrice that adjusts it. You can make dinner and feed your baby. its REALLy easy.
    nicholeluvslucy

Answer by nicholeluvslucy at 9:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I hear you. My little guy nursed so often I went as a cow for halloween. Moooo! I would try to plan out my trips in advance and pump a bottle just in case. If I was at a store with a comfey dressing room I'd sneek in there to feed Chris. Motherhood in the mall is great for that. Other wise I had a large blanket to cove up. It gets easier. They will go longer between feedings when they get a bit bigger. Keep it up.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Newborns are supposed to eat that often. It's good for her, and good for you. It will help your supply, and the constant nursing means you have to sit and rest, which you need. If you are out, and you need to nurse, just nurse. Don't worry about anyone or anything. You'll get the hang of it. You cannot be asked to leave or even to cover up, it's against the law to ask that of you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• it is very demanding,my lil one is 6months now,it gets easier trust me,but it is alot of work and as for going to the dtore ur baby will be fine,just feed her befor u leave.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:27 AM on Dec. 14, 2008