how can i increase my breast milk production?

lol. i dont know how else to word it. i have a 15 day old baby and im still only pumping 1 1/2 to 2 oz of milk. i started pumping so i could measure how much she eats, because she would cry after i fed her, and so dad can take a turn feeding her once in a while. i have to supplement with formula because she is still hungry after she breastfeeds. i dont like giving her formula, i'd like to just stick with breastmilk. is there any specific foods i should eat? any one have tips on when and how long to pump for? please help me, my baby needs more milk.

oOmomaliciousOo

Asked by oOmomaliciousOo at 6:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Immediately after feeding your baby, pump. Even if you're not getting anything at all. The suction is stimulattion to produce more milk --- pump until you're dry & then pump another 5 minutes or so. If your baby skips a feeding or is on a longer feeding schedule, pump between feedings too.

Fenugreek! Three pills three times a day. IT WORKS!!!

If you do all this consistently, your supply will be WAY up within a week and before you know it you'll be able to give your baby full contact feedings AND have 4 or 5 bottles in the fridge (very handy when out on the town or when you want to let someone else to a feeding) AND be freezing more!

ANd you'll need it once you hit the infamous 3-4 month "milk drop".

G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• You don't really need to measure, your baby will get everything they need. Plus, pumping doesn't get all the milk the baby would. I would suggest making sure you're getting enough water to drink and to stop supplementing with formula. Your body should start making enough for your baby. You might need to nurse every 45 minutes to 2 hours, and make sure you're nursing through the night. Hope this helps, good luck! Also, it might not hurt to get in touch with your local LLL or WIC, they have lactation consultants that are happy to help :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I breast-fed my son until he was 1 yo. The more often she feeds, the more milk you will produce. It's the same with pumping, if you pump between her feedings you will also increase milk production.
    You sound like a conscientious mom. Believe in yourself; I had some trouble with this myself. It seemed like everyone was saying I was harming my son, he was starving. Mine actually lost weight in the first few days, so hub and dr were trying to convince me to supplement. I researched and learned that breast-fed babies feed sometimes do lose weight right at first and they do feed more often than bottle-fed babies. If she is solely breast-fed, is still producing urine and is not losing weight.........you're golden.

My husband also 'helped' by arguing for formula, but I wouldn't allow it at that age because it interferes with breast-feeding. I started supplementing at 8 weeks, when I returned to work.
    DanieT

Answer by DanieT at 6:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Fenugreek capsules or Mother's Milk Tea should help. The fenugreek capsules didn't help me much. The tea helped the most. Just so you know, what you are pumping is not the amount of milk your body produces. (A lactation consultant will tell you the same thing about the amount that you pump.) Each of my children cried, too. I think that nursing is a comfort to them. I learned this from experience, stick to a feeding schedule and allow for minor changes. If they stay latched on too long, they become fussy and you will have sore headlights. Then, she won't be the only one crying. If she continues to cry or cries for a few hours in the middle of the night, it might be something you ate such as milk, rice, beans, cauliflower and/or broccoli. I hope this helps.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• No more pumping to measure your output. Just nurse! Baby fusses, burp and nurse more! Dad can help in other ways.

Pumping does NOT show you want baby can get and it decreases your supply. Just nurse, nurse nurse!
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 7:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Pumping is in no way a measure of what you make. baby is going to fuss like she is starving because she is supposed to. It helps your production. Just nurse when she is hungry. This early in you will be lucky to get a good 5 minute bathroom trip. As long as she is having at least 6 wets a day then she is getting enough.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Nurse on demand. If she still seems hungry after, then nurse some more. Pumping is not an indicator of supply. The best supply booster is on demand nursing. Baby is more efficient then a pump, and formula supplementation can cause your supply to drop. I suggest stopping supplements, and just nurse on demand.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2008