I have $50-$60 to spend at the store for the week. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children. What can I get for dinners?

lovinlifew3

Asked by lovinlifew3 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• The have these things called complete meals.. all different kinds. They are about $3 each!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Do you have any discount grocery stores such as Aldi, Save-A-Lot or Price Rite? I spend anywhere from $50-$75 for a family of 4 at these stores. A big bag of frozen chicken breasts is about $6 and enough for 3 dinners, packages of ground turkey is $2.49 for a pound and a half (which could stretch to two meals), whole grain pasta and tomato sauce (even no sugar added sauce) is cheap...you could make a lasagna that lasts 2-3 days. Then other staples, cereal, milk, eggs, bread, peanut butter, it CAN be done if you shop at the right place.

If no discount stores sit down with your current grocery stores ads and coordinate with looking online for coupons for some of the sale items and again look for meat/proteins that can last for several meals!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Got to a dollare store. Get stuff to make spagehtti. Or get a bag of frozen meat balls and have meat ball sandwiches 1 day and then spaghetti and meatballs the next day. Get a big thing or 2 of tuna 1- tuna noodle casserole; 2. tuna fish sandwiches. Get a whole chicken and roast it then the next day make chicken salad out of it. Can you make your own bread (if you don't have a bread machine you could ask for one on freecycle) then you could have soup and sandwich night. Have a breakfast for dinner night. Pankcakes or waffles or whatever. Find a recipe to make it from scratch instead of buying a kit, that is if you already have ingrediants at home. Get some porch chops and slow cook them and make pulled pork sandwhiches or greamy mushroom pork chops make some mashed potatoes to go with it. If you buy a big bag of potatoes then you could make potatoe pancakes with the left overs. Check out the blog Hillbilly housewife
    onix

Answer by onix at 3:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• hamburger helper!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I spend about $40 a week for my family of 4. We keep staples in the house so that helps. I shop at multiple stores to get the best prices. I make my own pancakes and muffins for breakfast. An example of dinner for us is:
    Mon: Roasted chicken with rice/potatoes/corn bread veggies (make chicken salad with remaining chicken for lunches and boil bones for stock)
    Tues: Chicken and rice with veggies
    Wed: Breakfast for dinner eggs, toast w/ jam fruit
    Thurs: Home made mac and cheese and veggies
    Fri: sloppy joes made with lentils vs. meat with veggies.
    Sat: Quick and Easy Fettuccine with broccoli (Sauce is made with milk, cream cheese, garlic and parm)
    Sun: tacos with black beans vs. meat

Lunches are grilled cheese, kraft mac, PB&J and left overs... with carrot stix or veggies or fruit. It's summer so fruit is a GREAT side very cheap. I go a bag of about 8 nectarines today for 1.99

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• * chicken and rice is made with the night before's chicken stock and remaining chicken bits.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• try hamburger helper I know yuck! Try spaghetti or a soup make enough to make left overs a casserole hamburgers and fries...
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Spaghetti or taco pile on are good choices!!!

Plus use coupons or sales at the grocery store.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• breakfast for dinner is cheap.. pancakes.. eggs.. breakfast sausage
    Rydersmommy616

Answer by Rydersmommy616 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Dried beans and lentils should be your new best friends. Send me a message if you need recipes for healthy, low cost meals

Answer by rkoloms at 7:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2011