If you were born and raised in Japan

do you think you would be Shinto, Buddhist, or whatever religion you are right now? Which would you have been raised?

The question was brought up in another post, and people complained because in the original it said Middle East, and defended it by saying people in the Middle East are forced to be Muslim (not exactly accurate, but let's just take that convenience out of the equation altogether). The majority religions in Japan, where they practice full freedom of religion, are Shinto and Buddhism.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I would think, that I would probably have been Shinto and Buddhist, if that is what my parents were. But, there is a difference between how children are raised here and there... Children are given more credit for being able to comprehend, then they are here.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• well seeing as i lived there for 6 years of my childhood and have taken part in many Shinto rituals & festivals & have incorporated some of their ideas into my own views of the Divine (despite having strict Christian parents) id have to say yes, id be Shinto. especially since almost all Japanese children's names are added to a shrine's list at birth. i think where we are raised & the religion of our families does have an affect on the population as a whole.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I can't say who I would be if I had lived a different life, so I don't really feel I can answer your question.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 4:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• In a free society I believe that cultural influences still exist so its hard to say what my path would be- I would assume that it would still be pretty middle of the road as it is now-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• people complained because in the original it said Middle East, and defended it by saying people in the Middle East are forced to be Muslim

Disagreeing about the validity of the analogy is not complaining- (at least that is what others tend to say when they merely disagree and are painted as bashers or complainers-)

soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Well, since I practice Buddhism now, I suppose it's likely that I would be drawn to Buddhism if I lived there too. Some forms of Buddhism are combined with other traditions, such as Shinto, and are therefore more 'religious' than I imagine I would like it to be (or than I personally believe it was originally intended to be). But, I imagine that I even I wasn't personally drawn to Shinto or other traditions in the area, I would still be interested in learning about them and could probably find some common ground with those who practiced those traditions. Most likely I would practice philosophical Buddhism or some combination of Buddhism and Taoism (like Zen) if I lived there.

On a side note, I know for sure that people from the Middle East could potentially follow many other faiths besides Islam. I used to work with someone who was from Iran and she and her family were Ba'hai.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• On a side note, I know for sure that people from the Middle East could potentially follow many other faiths besides Islam

The question said- Muslim family living in the Middle East- Not families that live here in the US, not families that were traditionally not Muslim- just to clarify since I didn't see you on the other question, I was not sure if you knew the context ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• IF I was born in Japan I would 100% be Catholic. I am so sure of this I have actaully seen( and somewhere still have) the Catholic Church in Japan that my grandfather took in the 40's and I would surly be a member.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 6:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• The question said- Muslim family living in the Middle East- Not families that live here in the US, not families that were traditionally not Muslim- just to clarify since I didn't see you on the other question, I was not sure if you knew the context ;)

--

LOL...You're right' I didn't know the context of the statement. I'll go back and read it later though. I just saw that and thought--the only person I know WELL from the Middle East isn't even Muslim. Her family came here from Iran. I don't know the whole story because in Ba'hai they don't really like to talk about religion/politics, but her mom had cancer from some things that Saddam did to her area (chemicals, I think). Very sad. I haven't seen her in a long time, but she's one of the nicest people I've known, and I remember people often gave her a hard time assuming she was Muslim.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Well, there are a lot of Japanese who don't identify a religion, but both Buddhism and Shintoism still play a huge role in many Japanese festivals, etc. I think those two are so interwoven into the culture that it's difficult not to identify with at least one. However, there are Christians in Japan as well so I would most likely be what I currently am... a Christian who incorporates Buddhist and other Pagan ideals into her practice.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2011