41 Weeks pregnant and scheduled for induction tomorrow. Advice please!

This is my second pregnancy. My first baby was six days overdue. My water broke the day before I was scheduled for induction. I had a 12 1/2 hour, all natural labor with a healthy baby. I am now 41 weeks prego with #2 and I am now 7 days overdue and scheduled tomorrow morning for induction. Dr. said she will start by placing a pitocin pill on my cervix. I am terrified of being induced and especially terrified at the idea of having a c section. Anyone been induced and how was your experience? How long was your labor? I feel bad but I am feeling more dread than excitement at this point. Any advice?

hollysybb

Asked by hollysybb at 3:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was induced at 42 weeks. They started the meds at 7:30am I had our daughter at 1:27 that afternoon. Not as bad as everyone says... At least for me. Good luck tomorrow!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Is their a reason she wants to induce and not wait one more week? If the baby isn't in distress I would just tell her I want to wait. Go in everyday and let them check heartbeat but i would wait and give baby a chance to come naturally. Due dates can be off by 2 weeks.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I ws induced at 39 weeks 2days, i got too fat and couldn't hardly move & was in alot of pain (140-206 lbs.) i pushed for 1 hour 1/2 & ended up havin an emergency c-section (my pelvis is too small, cord was around his neck & face up), i was so scared, but after it all i was fine with it. its really no big deal, u cant even see the scar. i pray that everything goes very well for you & your baby :)
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My SIL was induced with #4 and everything went perfectly well for her. She had a vaginal birth and the baby is perfectly healthy and gorgeous. Don't worry you will be fine!!!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I was induced with all three of my children, and I have never had to have a c-section. With my first I was in labor for 50 hours and pushed for an hour and 13 mins. With my second, my labor was only 8 hours or so, and I pushed for 20 mins. With my third, my labor was 16 hours and I pushed for about 40-45 mins. They say the labor is more intense (pain wise), but I don't have anything to compare it to.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I was induced at 38.5 weeks because of pre-eclampsia. They started me off with the Cervadil to ripen my cervix on Tuesday evening and started me on Pitocin the next morning. The next day they broke my water. By Thursday afternoon I had stalled at 7cm and had to have a c-section. I ended up with pretty much every medical intervention I didn't want, but thankfully I ended up with a beautiful daughter!
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 4:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I have been induced twice. I was before my due date (38 weeks and 36 weeks) and my body was nowhere near going into labor on its own, so my labors were long. 41 hours the first time and 36 hours the second time. They were really not that painful though, and I never needed a c-section. Try to just relax! Being stressed and tense only makes your labor longer (yep, found that out myself, LOL). GOOD LUCK!!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I was induced with my 3rd at 37 weeks. The induction was very uneventful and was an easy labor. The contractions weren't any harder, longer, etc. They started the pitocin drip and 5 hours later I was holding my beautiful baby girl! Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 5:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My induction went like this:

I was 41 weeks. I got cytotec (an oral pill) on Tuesday and layed in the hospital bed for about 5 hours before they sent me home because I wasn't dilating. I was scheduled to come back in on Friday to start Pitocin. My water broke Thursday night so I went in but they still didn't start Pitocin until Friday morning as planned. After given Pitocin contractions got stronger and more regular. I dilated slowly, but when the time came to push I only had to push twice! So in total, not counting the Tuesday I was given Cytotec, I was in labor from Thursday night (10pm) until Friday (4pm) when I gave birth to my beautiful daughter. No complications. Everything went fine. I bet everything will go fine for you, too :) It is scary to be induced, but I think it's kinda scary no matter how it's done! Giving birth is scary!! But great at the same time. Just relax and concentrate on your breathing :)
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 5:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• You are not technically overdue until 42 completed weeks. Personally I would not go. I would DEFINITELY not consent to any "pitocin pill" either, since they don't exist. Cytotec is a pill that is often used to start labor, however, it is counterindicated for pregnant women. It can be used vaginally or orally. It has never been tested on pregnant women, and is an ulcer medication. I would just wait, personally. You are still well within a normal due range, and even then, due dates are only estimates.
    squish

Answer by squish at 8:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2011