What's YOUR definition of an alcoholic?

I just broke things off with a guy I was seeing for a little over a month.. He "had a few beers" every night.. 2 or 3.. Or sometimes wine instead. It became apparent pretty quickly that his mood swings were alcohol related, he got sarcastic and mean spirited when he was drinking and was grumpy all day until he'd get a drink in him, then he'd be fun & sweet and animated until he went back to being sarcastic again. He insisted he wasn't an alcoholic because he wasn't into hard liquor and "didn't drink that much". Imo an alcoholic is someone who has to have a drink every day.. What's your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Health

• I think he had some kind of "dependancy" on alcohol if you have to drink daily or nightly. Ridiculous. I personally wouldn't waste time on someone like that for a relationship, no way. Issues, issues, issues.
    Reading posts like this make me SO thankful for my Hubby. I believe when you're looking for a real relationship....it's best to not look in places where alcohol is involved. You can't really get to know the "real person" they are like that. I just don't see how it's possible. Alcohol CHANGES people. Like you said, he went from grumpy, to funny and animated and back to sarcastic. Ugh, I'll take a sober date, thanks. LOL
    GL to you...I think you were smart for dropping him!!!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 5:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I agree with you. He also probably drank when he wasn't with you during the day to have such mood swings.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Someone who must have a drink every day. My mother for example. From the moment she wakes up till she passes out at night she has a drink in her hands at all times.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think someone who HAS to drink every day, who thinks about it a lot, and who has alcohol change their personality and does it anyway constitutes and alcoholic.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• someone who needs/wants alcohol to have a good time,someone who needs/wants alcohol to make them happy
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 6:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Thanks girls... I've never known any alcoholics before, and I suppose I needed some validation because he thought I made too big of a thing of it. I'm sad over the breakup still and wonder how things could have been if he didn't drink but I know I did what's best for myself leaving him. I really appreciate all your input, it's helping me put it to rest :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Someone who considers alcohol a neccessity
    notjstasocermom

Answer by notjstasocermom at 9:26 AM on Jun. 24, 2011