Ouch! Did I really become such a bum? How can he say that? Jerk!

He always told me I didn't need makeup so I didn't care if I wore it or not. But one day I thought I looked particularly awful and my clothes were comfortable but not cute and I said "Omg I can't go out like this." He says "You look fine." I said "How can you say that!" His response was "Well at least if you go out like that, I know no other guys will be hitting on you." How can he think like that?! I've spruced up since then and now he actually checks me out or says I look hot without me asking. I can't believe I let myself go to the point where he would think that! Reality check but he could have said something sooner! 11 yrs with him and nobody needs to be hitting on me but I sure as hell want him to be proud to be seen with me! How would you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I don't know your husband at all or what his sense of humor is like, but that sounds like a joke to me. If you have been married for 11 years, I'm sure he loves you so much he's practically blind to your looks unless you look exceptionally amazing.
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 11:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Actually, I wouldn't have argued with the "you look fine" comment. Doing so is the equivalent of asking a guy if an outfit makes your butt look big. He won't be able to answer correctly no matter WHAT he says.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Ouch. but in the male language that might be a back handed compliment.
    onix

Answer by onix at 3:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• LOL! My dh would tell me I look fine if I had a paper sack on my head! Good thing yours was honest w/you.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 3:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• i wanted him to be honest and he's always such a smartass but i never heard this one before! lol i just thought "what a weenie." lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• At least, he doesn't want to keep you fat so no other guys will think you are beautiful. My FIL did that to my MIL.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 4:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• To be honest, I'm not sure how I would feel if my husband said that to me. I think that I would probably feel pretty bad, and feel a little like "wow, have I really let myself go to that point". I'm one of those who does my hair, makeup and dresses every day (how it's all done does depend on what I'm doing that day, however it is done in some shape or form). Even if I'm just sitting at home doing nothing, I put myself together. I have never done this for my husband though, I have always done it it for "Me". I'm very selfish in that regards, I do those things for me because I like the way I look, I like the way it makes me see and feel about myself. My husband's reactions and how he views me due to it is just icing on the cake really.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think it's just something that happens when you become a mother. How you look shouldn't matter. I understand the feeling though. I'm only 20 and I think that sometimes, but if my S/O doesn't like the way I look when I'm home or going to see family or just running to the store, then he doesn't have to look and no one else does either! lol
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2011