Why is it that we now live in a world that needs to be "people proofed?"

When I was a kid, they had those little plug covers and drawer stoppers to keep kids safe. But now, that isn't enough. We have to pad everything, put locks and doors everywhere, tie things down, bolt everything in place... And that's not just for kids either... I mean, my mother was forced to put up a 7 ft fence because she has dogs and they COULD (if a miracle happened) jump the 4 ft one she had and get out... Shows the come on ADULT channels at 3 in the morning now have to have "Adult content" warnings... And it seems like we have to recall something every other week because someone got hurt while using it wrong...

What the hell people! What happened to common sense? What happened to even a basic level of intelligence? I get so tire of it. And of course the companies are more than happy to fund studies that "PROVE" that you need to do this or that so you go buy their products... Really, makes me want to slap someone!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Maybe enough people got tired of burying the children who DIDN'T survive to safety measures. Just a thought.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 4:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Its called SAFETY! Common sense? What parent can watch their child 24/7 and never take their eyes of them? Kids are fast and things can happen in a blink of an eye.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• LOL! Isent it the truth!?
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 4:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• There's more "accidents" because people are getting more and more greedy and they like to file lawsuits over bullshit and idiotic antics. Big companies have to protect themselves on all levels and still some asshole gets hurt for doing something that is so obviously dangerous and/or moronic that they get a huge payday.I think as a society we are doomed. Here we are idolizing people who are drug addicts and low lifes. If this were 20 years ago we would just say that Lindsay Lohan is a coke whore and people with sex tapes are not worth anything anymore. Instead we blast it on the news and do a play by play of their miserable lives. Young girls want to be famous instead of something that earns an honest living. More and more teenagers are becoming pregnant and losing their lives to drugs and alcohol. Companies feed on these mindless drones who will buy anything a so-called celeb is wearing or doing, there is no more common sense.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 4:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I actually like the safety things out for kids now. My son is very quick and sometimes it's hard to watch him every SINGLE second! I have to clean and do laundry sometime. lol I like that there are parental warnings and controls on TV. The crap kids watch now is rediculous!
    I do, however, agree with you on the common sense thing... Like when you get a HOT chocolate or HOT coffee and it says, "Caution: The contents of this cup may be hot." Or how medicine bottles say, "KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN" If you don't know that you shouldn't have medicine where a child could accidently take it, then you don't deserve to have children in the first place. My favorite is the "Wrong Side Up" on packages. Which way is the writing, you dumby? And don't even get me started on how people drive. lol No one has enough time for common sense and some of it is just plain laziness.
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Because people don't want to use common sense or take personal responsibility! They want to play the "blame game" or have the government take care of them.

I'm amazed anyone over the age of 35 is still alive. I mean, we didn't have all these ridiculous things that are out now days and OMG!! we made it! We had scrapes and bruises, sprained body parts, the occasional broken limb, colds ... we got dirty. We drank from garden hoses because we didn't want to go (gasp) back in the house to get a drink. We climbed trees and rode bikes without being covered in padding. We were allowed to be kids!

Sadly some of us grew up to be overprotective, tight-asses and prudes that get offended over the stupidest things.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2011