Young kids showering with parents

I see this a few times where people say how wrong it is for a father to shower with their little kids (under4) but then the same people see no wrong with the mother showing with their little kids (under 4 ). What is wrong with this picture? I take showers with my 3 yr old girl and my 2 yr old boy. I have asked my husband to shower with our son but he wont. He thinks it's completely wrong for him to shower with him but see's nothing wrong with me doing it. Whch got me thinking I see that all the time on here.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• They asked the question on Dr's once. They gave an age to stop but I forget what it was. Then they said it's ok up until the kid wants privacy, like closing the door when they change in their room... etc
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 4:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I bathed with my kids til they were 4 or 5. I don't see the problem with it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I didn't know it was wrong. My DH will shower with DS if we are late or something, he doesn't like to bc DS thinks its a game or something and acts foolish. I feel uncomfortable naked around my kids but they never leave my side so....
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 4:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My SO and I see nothing wrong with it. SO showers with DS regularly (DS is 3) and has since he was a baby. It's not weird unless someone makes it weird. If their not comfortable than it's not a biggie either. To each his/her own.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 4:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My son used to jump in the tub with me EVERY single time I got in!! Even if he had already had his bath! I see nothing wrong with it. At times he asked questions like what's that.. I explained in an age appropriate manner and then he moved onto his toys! This was great Mommy Son bonding time! He & I just chatted away!
    dan4heather

Answer by dan4heather at 4:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My daughter is 5 and still needs some help showering. some days it is easier for her to get in the shower with me then for both of us to shower seperate. When my son turned 5 he told his father and I i will shower alone i need my private-c.
    momand4kids

Answer by momand4kids at 4:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Definately a personal choice. These days people like to err on the side of caution I guess. Assuming every adult is a predator. I don't see the harm in it if it is mom or dad. Unless of course you think your spouse is being inappropriate, then you have other decision that need to be made.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 4:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• The girls showered or bathed with their dad until they were four when the "what's that" question was asked. I would sit on the toilet and vast in the moment as I would wait for them to get out so I could dry them off and get their clothes on. It was a perfectly normal process that made the girls closer to their dad. No harm nothing sexual just another chore check off on the daily list.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• And there's the double standard that boys can bathe with both mom and dad until an older age but girls can only bathe with mom after like 1 or there MUST be something bad going on. Please.
    I never liked bathing with the kids and only showered with them a couple of times (I have 3 girls and 2 boys). But my husband showered with them until they were 4 or 5. Our older son (youngest son is only 11 months) and all 3 girls. I didn't think anything of it. It seemed perfectly natural for them to hop in with him to save time.
    I also don't get this thing about it being inappropriate for girls to know what a boy looks like naked. My girls have all seen their brother naked (they bathed together until they were like 6-7 years old) and he's seen them naked while changing or whatever. And they all change the baby's diapers. It's not a big deal in our house.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My husband still showers with my 5 year old son. He was never really comfortable showering with my daughter, but he probably did a few times when she was a baby.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2011