I'm afraid the pediatric orthopedic doctor's office thinks I hurt my son! What can I do?

My 3 year old son was diagnosed with infantile autism last month. While the doctor was examining him, she noticed his right arm was slightly bent at the elbow, and that it will not straighten. I never noticed this! She said it may have been a slight fracture and asked if his arm was ever injured or appeared swollen, my answer was no to both. Then she said did your pediatrician ever see this? I said no and he was there 2 months earlier. She said he should see a orthopedic dr and that I should see my pediatrician for a referral. She said it was possible I never knew it was broken because autistic kids have a high tolerance for pain. I went to the pediatrician and showed her the arm, I could tell she was shocked she never noticed and said it probably was a slight fracture and gave me the referral. I called the office today and asked for an appt for my son and said his right arm is slightly bent at the elbow and I don't know why it doesn't straighten. Two doctors saw it already and both thought I should bring him in for therapy. The recepitionist says" It sounds broken, was it ever xrayed?" I said no. He was never injured that I could see, had I ever seen swelling or that he hurt it, I would have brought him to the ER. She says can you bring him in today? I said no, I'm home with my 3 kids, plus babysitting a neighbor's kid, no car, and my fiance is at work 2 hours away. She said it's broken and it's important it's set asap, she said can you come in next Wednesday? I said yes, she asked if I had a referral, I said yes, it's in my hand. She asked who gave the referral, I said my pediatrician, I brought him there to get the referral because the neurologist told me to. I told her he uses the arm all the time, he feeds himself with that hand, he throws his arms up in the air, he picks up toys and lines them up with that hand and it's only slightly bent, barely noticeable. She that's fine, what's your address, I tell her. Then what's your name? I say Alison, she says last name, then I say Williams. First time I ever called a doctor for an appointment where they needed my name. Does it sound like she's planning to report me? And could she do that without seeing the child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• They are required by law to report you if they suspect anything. If they did, the police there before you left the building.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• He is a minor and he's never been seen there before. I'd say she just needed all of the info.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 4:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• You have never had to give your name when making an appt for your child? That is pretty common around here. Even if they did report the case would be closed quickly with no other proof of abuse. They car not going to take your child based on hear say with no other proof.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Never had to give my name. I also called another doctor for him to get a hearing test today, they didn't ask me my name.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• They required your address because in some hospitals/doctors office it is customary to mail a reminder to the patients. Specially when a referral is needed they want the patient to provide with a hard copy of the referral. For me this is a waste of paper. Some medical centers/private offices are now doing everything through the internet even referrals are done through the internet. I get reminders on the mail from the dentist, and the neurologist for my son. Don't worry !
    BTW when they take your son's xray please make sure that a protector is used for the rest of his body. Some lab technicians fail to do this to hurry up to next patient.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Also call the doctor again and ask the receptionist about why your address was reuiered to set up the app to get rid of your concerns. You'll see! It's not what you are thinking. Call!
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I've always had to dish out name, adress, phone number, emergency contact ect when making appts.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I work as a receptionist at a doctor's office and we ask for all that information as well as insurance information and everything. If I have to take my girls to a specialist or new doctor they also ask that information. Shoot the dentist asks that same stuff!
    mom23girls555

Answer by mom23girls555 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I always get asked my name and address for every single doctor my son has seen. Social services would not even take a call from a receptionist who only was taking your appointment information. And tge recptionist would not call. Perhaps she is snarky but it has nothing to do with you. While anyone can call social services there is not substancial information at this point. Now if a doctor called and said there is a broken arm and it was suspected out of neglect or abuse...different. They are stating a medical opinion that you must have known and that an adult most likely broke tge arm. You would already had law enforcement and social services at your door. Your doctors did not think you did anything or they would have called by now.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• There are many states in which it is Required to report any suspicion of child abuse/neglect. This means they MUST make a report. However, recognize that means there are zillions of reports coming in - so only those that seem to pose imminent danger to a child will ever be investigated. And even if you do get called, just be honest, tell the truth and you will see how fast they move on....
    Jmomma532

Answer by Jmomma532 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2011