My daughter is turning 6 Aug 3rd She wants a birthday party, I want to throw her a nice party but do not have a lot of money any ideas? Also being that her birthday is in the summer I am unable to invite a lot of kids her age I want her party to be fun for her but will feel bad if no one shows up how do I handle that?

We are a military family, we are originally from Pa but are stationed in Tx. Her father is deployed & we are to far from Pa to invite family members. I know a few people but most of them are going on their summer vacations around the same time as her birthday so they won't be in the area.

JMerth

Asked by JMerth at 4:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This year "Princesses" is really IN. And for a six year old, five guests is the recommended Maximum! Six kids for a six year old (total), seven kids for a seven year old..is just a rule of thumb, but it works. Too many friends, and the birthday child is overwhelmed and ends up in tears.
    You could ask all the girls to come dressed up like a princess. For a craft, they could all decorate paper or cardboard crowns. Have glue, stickers, fake gems, some feathers, and glitter. Let the crowns dry before they put them in their hair . Next, you could give them scarves, or wands, or feather boas, and put on some Princess music (Disney, available through the library for free) and let them dance. Take their picture, print it off on a computer, and give it a paper frame, which they decorate. Read them a story about a princess, and finally, after cake and ice cream, let them watch their favorite Disney princess cartoon. Then home!
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• A party can be lots of fun for kids without being expensive at all. Balloons, water if it's warm enough, lots of smiles and laughter. Music. Streamers. You can make a big deal of it and spend very very little. A neighbor of mine bought fake flowers from the dime store and did her daughter's hair with them; the little girl was thrilled and felt so special for her special day.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 4:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Both of my boys have summer birthdays (June 22 and June 29). I let them pick anything they want to do that day, anywhere they want to eat, and they order whatever cake they want from the bakery. This year my oldest wanted to go to black light mini golf and out to eat at Treasure Island on the strip. My youngest is between horseback riding and going to the Las Vegas Mini Gran Prix. At the end of the day, we invite people over for cake. It's usually just family, and possibly a couple of friends. Because they spent the day with us doing what ever fun things they wanted, they are always happy and tired, and the party itself isn't such a huge deal to them. They are happy to have cake and ice cream with our small group and talk about how much fun they had on their day. This way, they get to do a lot, but it's not as stressful and not nearly as expensive.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• She doesn't necessarily have to have the party on the exact birthdate. Maybe the week before or after more people would be home. Find out who is most important to her, and when they will be home. At that age, a sleepover with 1 or 2 girls can be a great party. The biggest expense will be to your nerves, lol.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 5:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• You invite family and a couple neighbors who have kids and ask if they will for sure come because you need party supplies and dont want her disappointed. You be honest. My dd turns 22 next week, and my cousins dd turned 9 yesterday. We always did their parties at a park that had water spouts, or blowing, or something like that. If you are really broke have it at home with just family.

Answer by gemgem at 4:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• my kids are 6 and 3 and we invite family. My oldest started kindergarden last year she didn't ask for friends to come, but when she does we will invite them, but until then it is just family which she only has 2 cousins, but only one comes and he is 3. She use to have a friend (neighbor) that came 2 years in a row, but this past year they moved so she didn't have a friend at her party. My 3 year old doesn't have any friends yet so it is just family
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think at 6 if you have a couple of little girls that you know "she really likes" and have them over for a little party w/cake and ice cream, she'd be quite happy. Why do we always feel it has to be a big party and invite everybody and they're Uncle who the little girl won't know, and won't PLAY WITH anyway.Have a few games to play and give them a nice little bag of goodies to take home, per the $ store. It's for "Her" and keeping that in mind may help, I'd also RSVP for about a week before the party so you'll have an idea who is and is not coming. Have fun!!
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• You can have a party without spending a fortune. You also don't need to invite 50 kids. Just invite a couple of her friends, and have cake and ice cream. I don't know how big your yard is, but if you have a decent yard, you could make a slipnslide out of some garbage bags, water and detergent. Or, you could get some nail polish and hair doo-dads from the dollar store and have a "makeover" party. The simplest occasions can be the most memorable. People go WAY overboard with their kids' birthday parties these days, and it's ridiculous. Bounce houses, pony rides and 30 kids that can't possibly interact and play with EVERYONE.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My son is about to turn 7 and I so far we only invite family.
    momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 8:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2011