Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting my daughter Christened......

I was raised Catholic, her father Christian. He says its fine to get her Christened. Only issue is, I havent been to church in a long time. Only time was for my fathers and grandmothers funerals. Which I know dont count. We are not married and in the Catholic Church I know thats not good. But either way.. im not trying to get all religious on here.. im just wondering if anyone has gotten their child christened without going to church and if so how much is there to do. Controbutions to church? payment for christening? just need an idea before I go calling around. Id like to try to get it done soon... my mom pushing me cause my daughter my need brain surgery sometime soon and she said she should be blessed first... soooo yeah.. anyone have advice?? please no debates of anything lol just curious thats all.. thank you

Answer Question

Asked by mommyoftristan at 4:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 16 (2,903 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • Are you talking about a Catholic christening? The parish office can fill you in.

    We looked into a Catholic christening, but the church wouldn't do it because we didn't have godparents who were verifiably active within the Church (a letter from their pastor was required). A Lutheran minister did the service for us at our home, and we made a donation to the church. Don't remember how much... it was nearly 12 years ago.

    Answer by gdiamante at 4:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

  • You should call your local Catholic Church office and ask. The Pastor will probably call you back. I was raised Catholic, my husband Episcopal, and we were not married in the church, and had not been going. For my first, the pastor required that I attend service for 6 months and then call him again. After the six months, the sponsor and my husband/self had to attend a class. There is a mandatory "donation" of anywhere between 25 to 75 dollars. You will be asked to agree to raise your child in the Catholic Church.

    BTW, I was advised that I was no longer to receive "Sacrament" because i was not married in the church. You can get your marriage blessed in the church if you care to partake again.

    Unfortunately, it was a lot more of a process than I thought, and, well, I was a bit disappointed that it was so hard for us. Hubby looked into converting, but it was a 5 hour/week, year long comittment before the first sac.

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

  • You will need to call the Catholic church office from your neighborhood. The pastor will want to sit down and meet with you and you will need to register your family in the church. You have to have at least 1 practicing Catholic godparent. Like imaginationmama said, you usually give a donation to the church/pastor for 25 dollars or more, basically whatever you can afford (at least that is what I was told).

    Answer by pinkie8986 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.